Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Advice Needed on Two Hands Played at the Plaza

Last week, I went to Vegas and played in some low buy in tourneys. This particular tourney was at the Plaza. Thirty-five entries and it will pay the top five.

Two hands came up and I think I misplayed both badly. I am looking for some advice:

first hand:

Seven players left:

Approx. chip count:

Blinds 400/800
UTG: t11000
UTG+1: t9000
MP: t10000
CO: t6000
Button (Villian):t50000
SB: t6000
BB (Hero): t10000

Villian has big chip lead and has been bullying the table by raising almost every hand and stealing the blinds.

All fold to Villian who raises to t10000. SB folds, Hero peeks at cards and sees A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero?

2nd hand:

Five players left (everyone has made the money.

Approx. chip counts:

Blinds 1000/2000
UTG: t13000
UTG+1: t12000
B (Villian): t61000
SB: t10000
BB (Hero): t6000

All fold to Villian. He has still been bullying the table by raising people all-in. He has been called a couple of times and showed 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on one occasion and 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on another. Villian raises to t6000, SB folds, Hero looks down and sees K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero?

As I said, I believe I misplayed both hands. I would appreciate any comments so that if this arises again, I will be better prepared.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Advice Needed on Two Hands Played at the Plaza

I personally would go on in on both hands. If I had more chips the second hand I might not. The first hand you are getting a lot of reward for your risk. Plus even if he has a pocket pair of QQ or lower you have a 45% chance of winning the hand by catching and A or K. I wonder what decision you made since you never said.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:45 PM

I folded the 1st hand, which I think was a mistake. I should have called. I was worried I would finish out of the money and that was dumb! A very weak/tight play.

I beat myself up pretty good for that and decided I would not allow it to happen again when the second hand arose. This time I called him and he turned over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I went out fifth.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM

1st Hand: If he's raising every hand as you said, AK figures to be at least a 60/40 favorite in most cases. And even if he picked up a pair, it's essentially 50/50. Winning this pot might also make the villain think again before raising your BB.

2nd Hand: I'd call here as well. You're desperately low and any hand you play will more than likely be shown down. K6s figures to be good against a random hand (since villain is raising every pot).