Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Adderall

I've been diagnosed with ADHD, prescribed 40mg of Ritalin & 10mg of Focalin for daily use. These drugs aren't working well for me and I've discontinued use.

I'm interested in trying Adderall, however the university has a two-week wait for appointments, is there any way around this? (Only interested in dealing with doctor of some sort).
Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Adderall

[ QUOTE ]
Hookers and blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

- rojoh (every thread he posts in)

Yugoslav
Old 10-21-2005, 02:37 PM

cocaine has a much shorter half-life then drugs prescribed to treat ADD/ADHD.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:57 PM

How long have you been taking the ritalin? What doses have you tried? Did the Dr. start small and ramp you up or just start at 40mg? Im also assuming this is extended release as 40mg instant release is high, espicially to start out with. There is no right dosage. everyone is different. The side effects wear off as your body gets used to the drug. I was taking concerta(same drug, different name and release form) and after a few months i was sure i wanted to try soomething else. I tried adderall and have been a happy camper since. www.addforums.com is an excellent source of info.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been diagnosed with ADHD, prescribed 40mg of Ritalin & 10mg of Focalin for daily use. These drugs aren't working well for me and I've discontinued use.

I'm interested in trying Adderall, however the university has a two-week wait for appointments, is there any way around this? (Only interested in dealing with doctor of some sort).

[/ QUOTE ]

You were recently diagnosed ADHD? How old are you? It's not very common to be diagnosed with the H as an adult. I'd be interested in knowing more.

FWIW, I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 years old. I never medicated as a child. I began taking some forms of medication as a college student, and have studied it quite a bit as an adult. I am familiar with adderall, and sometimes use it.

I think the following is an interesting topic in itself. But I read somewhere (and this could well be an urban legend for all I know), that the US military will not accept applicants who took ritalin during the early years of their life, particularly if they were medicating during puberty, as they have evidence that these people are [censored] up, and should not be handling a gun, or going to war.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your post. Back on topic, it's my experience that most doctors don't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to medicating. It's a sad story.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:56 PM

lol...thats not why the military doesn't take ADHD people who have medicated. The military considers ADHD an ongoing medical condition and they don't want individuals who are dependent on or may need psychological drugs to function that they have to supply. However, if you are diagnosed after you are in, then you can remain in.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 PM

Go to the yellow pages and find a psychiatrist. He/she will be able to prescribe you drugs after your first visit. For me, I am still trying to find the right medication as well for my ADD/ADHD. I currently have 40 mg Ritalin LA, which is extended release (I did 10 mg at a time to build to 40). I don't think it is working very well. Before that I tried to go onto Adderrall very slowly (10 mg at a time), but the side effects were too intense for me. I think I need to suck it up and try again. I basicly couldn't eat while on Adderrall and got very bad insomnia. Not to mention I felt like [censored] while coming down. I heard these side effects go away if you give it time.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were recently diagnosed ADHD? How old are you? It's not very common to be diagnosed with the H as an adult. I'd be interested in knowing more.

FWIW, I was diagnosed with ADHD at 6 years old. I never medicated as a child. I began taking some forms of medication as a college student, and have studied it quite a bit as an adult. I am familiar with adderall, and sometimes use it.

I think the following is an interesting topic in itself. But I read somewhere (and this could well be an urban legend for all I know), that the US military will not accept applicants who took ritalin during the early years of their life, particularly if they were medicating during puberty, as they have evidence that these people are [censored] up, and should not be handling a gun, or going to war.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your post. Back on topic, it's my experience that most doctors don't know what the hell they're doing when it comes to medicating. It's a sad story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Urban legend. I was on Ritalin as a child, and have been in the army for 8 years. Was on anti-depressants TWICE while still being in the army, AND I actually hold a security clearance. WAY myth.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:13 PM

All I know is that I had some Adderall once about 4 months ago and I'm still convinced that I'm addicted. I'm just glad I can't get any. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 11:23 PM

Doesn't Paul Phillips worship this drug? Think he mentioned it on his blog.