Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM

Default AQ in SB with a raise UTG

Villain had a higher PFR% than anyone at the table so in tournament parlance, I defended my blinds with this strong-but-dangerous-out-of-position hand resolute on being careful.

The flop was an action flop, as they say, either really good for my holdings or incredibly bad.

I specifically didn't want to lead the flop because I thought a check-raise here would get me more information, I would get it more quickly and it would cost me less now than if the hand went on.

Is this a good line to take in such a situation?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($126.95)
UTG ($123.75)
UTG+1 ($105)
MP1 ($186.10)
MP2 ($103.10)
MP3 ($83.60)
CO ($12.95)
Button ($55.55)
Hero ($299.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls $3, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($8) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $21.50
Old 07-31-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: AQ in SB with a raise UTG

Flop is standard, pre-flop really depends how high his aggression factor was. Did you see him raising UTG with hands dominated by AQo?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is standard, pre-flop really depends how high his aggression factor was. Did you see him raising UTG with hands dominated by AQo?

[/ QUOTE ]He was very aggressive. As I said above, highest PFR% at the table. Sure I could see him make the move with AK (and Aces or Kings), but I could also see him make the move with AJ or, most importantly with this flop, Queens on down, making this flop a bigger nightmare for him than me by far.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:14 AM

I check call down if he is aggressive.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. if he doesn't have AK beat, he's going to fold to your raise. if you call and he has QQ, he'll convince himself that he needs to fire again on the turn, and you'll get more money out of him.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. if he doesn't have AK beat, he's going to fold to your raise. if you call and he has QQ, he'll convince himself that he needs to fire again on the turn, and you'll get more money out of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you don't have a read on villian then raise to define your hand and if your read for him is that he is aggressive then check call him down so he pays you off?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:39 PM

i dont like the flop CR
Old 07-31-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure yet if I like this. If checked to, would villain possibly check AK or better and bet any other holding? If so I think thats a great plan. If he's just as likely to bet it out any set or AK (which I kind of doubt) when checked to you have no way of figuring where you're at and might have to face calling very large amounts on all three streets not knowing whether you're facing: 1 a bluff in response to weakness, 2 value bets from better hands, and 3 a "value" bet from worse hands.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:45 PM

Flat call on this hand is tough pre-flop. You're either winning a little on this hand, or potentialy losing a solid amount, although I believe you have the ability to get away from this hand.

On the flop, that's the exact line I'd take here. Find out right now where you are and put an end to the hand. Yet this is exactely the problem with flat calling these hands OOP, you're going to win a little or potentially lose more. If he calls this, then what line do you take on the turn if a brick hits?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Or he hits his straight or set because I play it passively. Ir he bets his top two with enough on the turn plus river where I have a decision to make, one for a lot more chips than the CR cost me on the flop. See, that's what UI didn't want to become - a calling station. Sometimes calling villain down is the right move, but if I'd rather know where I stand (or at least have a better idea) than pay off AK here because he *could* have a lesser holding (or let him his his backdoor straight or soemthing).