Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Too aggressive?

PartyPoker .5/1 NL

This is my third hand of the session. I have $24.95.
No read on BB, as he sat three hands ago. He has $24.50.
MP is loose/passive/passive (30%/1%/92/103) with $46.20.
LP is loose/aggressive/aggressive (39%/6%/(39)/87) with $18.60.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>. MP calls, 1 fold, LP calls, Hero raises to .75, BB calls, MP calls, LP calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB bets $2, MP bets $4, LP folds. Hero raises to $10. BB folds, MP calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero is all in for $14.20, MP calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Old 07-29-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

Looks good to me. I expect to be ahead of a weaker ace almost all the time.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:44 PM

I think maybe you have the blind wrong in the post which makes it hard to tell how large your pf raise is. You also don't say how whether your playing 10- or 6-handed.

I will assume your PF raise is in the range of 3-5BB. If its not I would make it a good solid 5-6BB, particular since you have position. I think flop raise is fine in light of the flush (and less likely) the str8 draw.

Once your flop bet gets called your in sort of a tough spot. On one hand you would probably have to call for all your chips, but on the other your not crazy about that prospect.

If I were playing this hand in full ring I would be much more worried about AK. Given the action AK or a set seems like the hands with most potential for beating you. Given the smallish amount of chips you have the flush draw is less likely unless your vilian is not very good. In 6-max I don't worry very much about running into AK with AQ, but I do worry about it in full ring (when I used to play).

For this reason I would probably try to check it down in full ring. If it 6-max given the stack sizes I probably just put my chips in on the turn and hope to get called with a worse ace. If you opponent has you beat as he any good at all he is going to make you put the chips in anyway.

I'm sure other people will say you try to check it down regardless.

Passion.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:04 PM

This may be weak tight but a loose passive passive player min-raises a flop bet into the pre-flop raiser - I think I fold the flop
Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 PM

You say that the player in middle position was loose yet passive. A loose player would call your raise with any pocket pair. He might even call you with (A 7) suited. If this player has any brains he knows that he is in a sandwich. The guy in front of him called a preflop raise and then bet out on the flop, which at least shows some strength. This passive player then proceded to raise that bet fully knowing the preflop aggressor was yet to act behind him. This player is making a bet in a tough spot where he is almost certain to get some action on his bet. If you respect this player's abilities, you have to give him credit for having a strong hand because of his bet. I would not want to be moving my money in on this hand.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:56 PM

It was a 10-handed game. Blinds were .10 and .25. Sorry about that.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good to me. I expect to be ahead of a weaker ace almost all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had MP not raised the flop with the PFR still to act behind him, I would tend to agree. But, you don't think A7s is more likely? Maybe even specificlly A7 spades?
Old 07-30-2005, 07:12 PM

I agree with the two people who said fold after the flop. You have two people putting money in OOP and in front of a preflop raiser even after an ace hits on the flop. Furthermore, there's both a sraight draw and a flush draw on board. In this situation, I think you have to raise out the possible draws or fold. And I really don't like raising and having to put a lot more money into this hand. Again, you have two people OOP showing strength. I think you might have the best hand, but this is obviously going to get expensive and I wouldn't want to be a part of it. Wait for a better spot. At these levels people limp all the time with A-xs and then call a raise with this after they've limped. It seems real likely that someone could have aces up here. You may have the best hand, but I don't feel real good about putting a lot more into this pot and I would fold to the raiser on the flop.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:28 PM

Fold the flop. Between the flush/straight draw, 55 or 77 seems entirely possible holdings with the fish at the .10/.25 level.