Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Jackpot moral dilemma

Do unto others . . . pay his arse . . . and hope to chop.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 AM

wtf, he gave you a dollar to bet FOR HIM.

I used to do this for people all the time in high school just for fun, they'd give me $10 and I'd say, "ok this is mike's hand" and put the $10 down.

Anything else than giving him 100% seems like a totally dick thing to do.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:08 PM

how is this a moral dilemma? if you fail to perform your obligation, you're commiting a moral violation. end of story.

whether you should or shouldn't commit that violation is a different question, and is dependant on how much value you put on your own integrity, plus the value you put on your own trustworthiness times the chance he'll find out.

if you're a decent, self-respecting human being, I don't think any value would be enough.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:01 PM

Most people seem to be saying you should give him the money, or split it with him 50/50.

Maybe the problem should be clarified? I'm thinking poker... where I buy in for $200, for instance, and have another $800 with which to buy more chips if I bust out. So, how am I supposed to know which $1 is my friend's?

Do you mean a $1 slot machine I guess? And you are specifically saving a specific $1 bill just to play for him? And what if 10 other friends do the same thing? You keep track of the money to see who's $1 is going into the machine? I'd tell my friends just to keep their money... that's more trouble than it's worth. If they want to pool their money with mine, then I'd be willing to do that. But, $1 in vegas doesn't go too far.

Also, even if I did keep up with the dollars, I'd have the overhead of keeping up with their specific dollar, in addition to the overhead of going to Vegas, going to the slot machine, and playing it for them.

Anyway, I'd pool the money, and count my expenses as part of that pool. Unless their money was a significant portion of the overall risk, of course.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you accept his money and agree to play it for him, then you should give him whatever return is made, whether that's zero, $100, or a $million. How can you justify doing anything else without labeling yourself as untrustworthy?

I always tell people up front that if I play it and it hit bigs, we're splitting it. They usually agree to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100% - there is no other answer.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:26 PM

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try telling that to the IRS