Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 09:58 AM

Default The Quest of TheBong!

Hi everyone!

I could make this a really, really long post - but I'm going to try to keep it as short as possible to see if you have an interest in reading more of them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am a skilled player who used to make a good portion of his income out of his playing bankroll. I played "for a living" (the quotes are because I did work a regular job also so my entire income was not from poker), for little over 2.5 years until the problem that hits all of the best poker players at least once happened. I went broke, and did it twice.

The first time was due to unforseen circumstances in my life that needed the playing bankroll to take care of them. The second time was from play at the tables, and taking that "shot" trying to get back to the level I was accustomed to.

I don't want to go down this road again, and get back to being broke. I'm starting to get my life back together and it's great because the way my life is right now I have a LOT of hours to play. So - here's the meaning to the post.

I was a player at mainly the 2/4 or 3/6 NL levels, up to 10-20 in limit. I would like to get back to those levels (and higher this time) but am forced to do it on limited funds due to my personal situation. So, instead of taking the fast shot - I'm going to do it right, and I'm going to be writing in this forum post every time I play a session to not only keep myself motivated daily, but to keep myself disciplined.

I don't want to bore you with all boring drivel that you may not want to read anyways - but if you like quests, here's what I'm going to try to do.

-----------------------------------------------------------
The Quest: To rebuild a once large bankroll for the purpose of playing for a living.

I have been staked by a friend for an initial bankroll of $300. This friend will be taking a 33% cut of profits when the bankroll reaches $750, and removing his initial stake along with it. THERE ARE NO RELOADS AT THIS POINT. I'm not going to play limit poker at all anymore, choosing to focus on NL and tournament play (although tourneys won't be for some time), and moving up Party levels of NL at 20 buyins for that level, except for the first level which I will start with the 12 buyins I have. So - here's the scale I will try to follow.

$300-$750 - $25 NL at Party (Goal - 09/08/04)
Repay $300+$150 profit leaving with $300 Clear Bankroll.

$300-$1000 - $25 NL at Party (Goal - 10/10/04)
$1000-$2000 - $50 NL at Party (Goal - Thanksgiving Day)
At this level I will also begin to play MTT's with low buyins.

$2000-$4000 - $100 NL at Party (Goal - Christmas Day)

At this point I would reevaluate my game to see if I wanted to wait another $1000 to go into the $200 game, but I'm assuming that I would.

$4000-$10000 $200 NL Party. (Goal March 1, 2005)

At that point I would consider my roll rebuilt and easily able to handle any sort of swing at the Party $200 NL level. At that point I would work on increasing my roll towards perhaps moving into the 5/10 NL Game on Pokerstars, and maybe even further upward, and also playing live. I would also be entering many MTT's at this point.

So the main goal of the quest will be to remain disciplined with the help of this forum, and to rebuild a ten thousand dollar bankroll in just a touch over six months.

Are you all ready for a ride, I'll try to lead as best I can.

First session will be played this evening.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: The Quest of TheBong!

Current Bankroll: $300
Current Winrate: 0BB/100
Current Game: Party $25 NL

If ya see me on the Party $25, say hello!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be writing in this forum post every time I play a session to not only keep myself motivated daily

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems a bit optimistic and may have the opposite effect - I 2-3x/week journal combines the positive aspect of getting member feedback on imposing personal accountability without the drawbacks of thinking. awww man, I'v got to write another one. plus, you'll produce higher quality posts and have more time to play. just my suggestion.

best of luck.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to be writing in this forum post every time I play a session to not only keep myself motivated daily

[/ QUOTE ]

this seems a bit optimistic and may have the opposite effect - I 2-3x/week journal combines the positive aspect of getting member feedback on imposing personal accountability without the drawbacks of thinking. awww man, I'v got to write another one. plus, you'll produce higher quality posts and have more time to play. just my suggestion.

best of luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may very well be right - i might not post every single time i play, but when i post it'll cover anything i missed on previous sessions. I hang out in the chatroom so typing isn't too much of a deal to me. Thanks for your input though, I hope to make this a quest people enjoy reading.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:09 AM

Well, I started the quest tonight, but due to a problem with Pokertracker I only got about half my session recorded.

All in all it was a great night, from the $300 start I was able to get to $355 before Pokertracker took a poop and lost all of my non 6 max hands. Actually it's a good thing because I've decided I hate the full ring $25 NL on Party, but that's just me.

So, once I got the DB going, I posted a 47.56 BB/100 for my last 130 hands, probably having played around 1000 total for the day and booking a total win of $116.82.

I'm going to play another session later but wanted to come in and get the first actual play post in the thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Current Bankroll: $416.82
Current Winrate: 47.56 BB/100
Current Game: Party NL $25
Old 08-25-2004, 10:36 AM

Good luck to you. It will be unusual to have a quest to read that's based on no-limit play. I've only been on the boards for a few months, but the ones I've seen have all been on limit play. Maybe I can pick up some nuggets on what NL play is all about here and there.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck to you. It will be unusual to have a quest to read that's based on no-limit play. I've only been on the boards for a few months, but the ones I've seen have all been on limit play. Maybe I can pick up some nuggets on what NL play is all about here and there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully so, and thanks for the kind words. I don't know too much about quest posting as this is my first one, but I'll try to do the best I can. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 AM

Well, what a session guys.

After starting the quest last night at 7PM, I have already achieved my first goal. The total win booked for the night beginning from 7PM last night was $460.60. My win rate in PokerTracker is a disgustingly large 41.37BB/100.

So, first goal achieved of paying off my backer with his percentage, to where I now have a roll of $310.60 free and clear.

I may grab a few of my hand histories out of PT to look over in a bit, but as you can imagine a $460 night at $25 NL is kind of tiring so I might just relax. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

----------------------------------------------------------

Total Bankroll: $310.60
Current Winrate: 41.37BB/100
Current Game: Party $25 NL (6-Max)
Archived Hands: 809

Goals Accomplished:
Initial Goal of repaying $300 stake with $150 cut to staker.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 PM

Woohoo! Way to go! Please post the most interesting hands.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 PM

Here's an interesting hand I thought you guys might get a kick out of.

***** Hand History for Game 878503389 *****
0/0 TEXASHTGAMETABLE (NL) - WED AUG 25 09:06:08 EDT 2004
Table Table 14626 (6 max) (Real Money) -- Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: TheBong ( $80.75) (Hero/Small Blind)
Seat 2: Traumatiz3 ( $38.50) (BB)
Seat 3: MyPotMyCasH ( $108.50)
Seat 4: NOL1M1T ( $4.50)
Seat 5: Jayee ( $33.60)
Seat 6: PrePaidPimp ( $14)

Dealt to TheBong [ 8d, Ah ]
MyPotMyCasH raises (1) to 1
NOL1M1T calls (1)
Jayee folds.
PrePaidPimp folds.
TheBong calls (0.75)
Traumatiz3 folds.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9h, Kc, 8h ]
TheBong checks.
MyPotMyCasH bets (3)
NOL1M1T folds.
TheBong calls (3)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ac ]
TheBong checks.
MyPotMyCasH bets (9)
TheBong raises (18) to 18
MyPotMyCasH calls (9)

** Dealing River ** : [ Jd ]
TheBong bets (58.75)
TheBong is all-In.
MyPotMyCasH calls (58.75)
Creating Main Pot with $161 with TheBong

Results in white below.

** Summary **

<font color="white">Main Pot: $161 | | Rake: $2
Board: [ 9h Kc 8h Ac Jd ]
TheBong balance $161, bet $80.75, collected $161, net +$80.25 [ 8d Ah ] [ two pairs, aces and eights -- Ah,Ac,Kc,8d,8h ]
Traumatiz3 balance $38, lost $0.50 (folded)
MyPotMyCasH balance $27.75, lost $80.75 [ 9s Kh ] [ two pairs, kings and nines -- Ac,Kh,Kc,9s,9h ]
NOL1M1T balance $3.50, lost $1 (folded) </font>