Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Flopped set while defending BB

20-40 at my local card-room. Folded to Villain in the cutoff. He's tight aggressive but his stealing range is wide; i know it, and he knows that I know it. SB parts ways, and I look down at 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and three-bet.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I lead bet as a continuation of my pre-flop 3-bet. He raises. I smooth-call, planning on check-raising any non-spade turn.

Turn is a 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A pretty ugly card. I check-call. I'm not overly worried about a flush or straight just yet, but at the same time, I don't check-raise because I would rather not call a re-raise. Flawed logic? In hind-sight, I think I prefer a lead bet here again.

River is a T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Now, I lead, since he'll check behind if he has no spade. I also hope he raises me if he does have a high spade. He obliges and raises, and I re-raise. He 4-bets. I... ?

Comments on all streets welcome...
Old 08-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Flopped set while defending BB

This flop presents too many opportunities for an aggressive opponent to overplay a weaker hand. I'd continue to raise the flop and hope he does just that.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:49 PM

I 3bet and then 5bet the flop if I get a chance. If he raises again I check-call the rest of the way.

The way that you played it, i lead the turn and call a raise. On the river play it like you did but just call, I expect him to have kt, tt, kk just as often or more often then the nut flush.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:03 PM

definitley threebet the flop... fivebet and sevenbet if you get the chance.
on the river, call and most likely lose. a fold may be expert here.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the comments. Does your opinion change live vs. online?

If this were online, I, too, would likely go to war on the flop. But this is live, and in the live games I play, if more than 3 bets are going in on the flop, it's like a flashing neon sign that I have an over pair or set, and he'll get rid of a lot of one-pair holdings by the turn.

I don't slowplay my hands in big multi-way pots, but heads-up, and particularly since his steal range is wide, I thought I needed to sandbag it and come alive on the expensive streets.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3bet and then 5bet the flop if I get a chance. If he raises again I check-call the rest of the way.

The way that you played it, i lead the turn and call a raise. On the river play it like you did but just call, I expect him to have kt, tt, kk just as often or more often then the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]i think you missed the most likely hand for the villain that beats us.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if more than 3 bets are going in on the flop, it's like a flashing neon sign that I have an over pair or set, and he'll get rid of a lot of one-pair holdings by the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Even in a blind vs. stealer battle with that kind of board? I can think of a bunch of hands that would go 4-5 bets on the flop there, online or live, most of which your set crushes. I agree with the replies that you need to give more action on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't slowplay my hands in big multi-way pots, but heads-up, and particularly since his steal range is wide, I thought I needed to sandbag it and come alive on the expensive streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that is there are so many turn cards that will slow one or both of you down. He looks like he's willing to get chips in the pot on flop, you should willingly oblige.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Really? Even in a blind vs. stealer battle with that kind of board? I can think of a bunch of hands that would go 4-5 bets on the flop there, online or live, most of which your set crushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bunch? Of the hands I beat, I would think he would need a minimum of two pair to 4-bet me, and OESFD or the royal draw might.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bunch? Of the hands I beat, I would think he would need a minimum of two pair to 4-bet me, and OESFD or the royal draw might.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I think on a board like this, since these flop wars are so often a made hand vs. a big draw, the player with the made hand will usually give a lot of action. I wouldn't be surprised to see something as low as KJ put in the 4th bet here.

And I would think any 2 Broadway spades might easily 4-bet and possibly take a free card on the turn. And if you do only smoothcall his flop raise, planning to check-raise the turn, and he checks behind, you're gonna feel nauseous. I think 3-betting the flop is best.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 PM

Typically, out of position, when I get raised on the flop and I think I have the best hand, I will three-bet and lead the turn. I agree that the worst-case scenario would be a check-through on a non-spade turn.

But this opponent is aggressive, and I was certain that if I allowed him to keep the lead on the flop, he was betting any turn. Thus, my plan was to check-raise any non-spade turn. I'm not sure what my plan would be if a spade hit, but when it did, he reached for his chips, so I let him put the bet in.

Still, others have suggested that I put as many as 7 bets in on the flop with which I don't agree.