Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 07:13 AM

Default I play goot or bad?

Not a play I normally make at these limits

PokerStars Game #2701205433: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2005/10/01 - 06:57:02 (ET)
Table 'Lyka' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: Ade704 ($37.50 in chips)
Seat 2: Ranmachan ($262.95 in chips)
Seat 3: vamfun ($169.55 in chips)
Seat 4: phil steve ($272.50 in chips)
Seat 6: zultan ($92 in chips)
Seat 7: jobio ($246.15 in chips)
Seat 8: smith007 ($38.50 in chips)
Seat 9: trumpman30 ($182.60 in chips)
Ranmachan: posts small blind $0.50
vamfun: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to trumpman30 [6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
phil steve: folds
zultan: folds
jobio: folds
smith007: folds
trumpman30: raises $2 to $3
Ade704: folds
Ranmachan: folds
vamfun: calls $2
*** FLOP *** [2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
vamfun: bets $5
trumpman30: calls $5
*** TURN *** [2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
vamfun: bets $5
trumpman30: raises $12 to $17
Old 10-01-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: I play goot or bad?

$4 pf, call flop + turn.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$4 pf

[/ QUOTE ]

It's always bothered me when people give an exact dollar amount to raise preflop, as if it's the only correct way to play a hand. Personally, I think it's more of a style question. I like to keep pre-flop pots small so I can outplay my opponent postflop while still having fold equity. 3x BB opening bet for almost all my hands accomplishes this for me unless there are limpers ahead. I know it's not an incorrect play because almost everybody will tell you a standard opener is for 3x-5x the BB, and with the so many different styles of poker that can win at NL Hold'em, I just find it kind of goofy when people post a specific opening bet as if it's the only correct way to play the hand. When I post a hand, I'm not really looking for a "raise $1 more before the flop", I'm looking for "call here instead of folding" or "raise here instead of calling" or "Lead for full pot here instead of 1/2 pot"

Anyway...

Anyway, the real question on this hand was the turn action. I could've just called..I am getting proper odds to do so if I win a little bit on the river when I hit, but I would have almost no bluffing equity on the river. The size of villain's turn bet told me he was weak and was blocking me from betting bigger and would probably fold to a raise. If he calls, I can still hit my hand and win an even bigger pot on the river.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:01 AM

I like putting in a raise. Determining whether to do it on the flop or turn is based on the following:

(a) How likely villain is to 3-bet the flop... if its high, just call. IMO, it's unlikely you are getting 3-bet if you have been raising a lot because bet/3-bet is not a line people take against frequent raisers.

(b) How likely villain is to fold to a raise. If it's high, and it usually is, go for it.

(c) What it means when villain leads the turn again. In my experience, this often translates to a massive drop in FE, because villain ends up only leading two streets with solid holdings. Often times though, villains will lead twice with very mediocre holdings, but lead the turn weak (i.e. here).

So if want to wait until the turn to get a good read, that's fine too, it's just that your equity goes way down.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:01 AM

Whats your plan of action on the river if you miss?