Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Bet AA preflop to reduce the number of callers?

Do you ever bet preflop with AA in order to reduce the number of callers?

In a Limit cash game your EV goes up with the number of callers. Now you never bet so that you increase the number of callers, but you do bet to increase the potsize (even if that means more callers).

What about No Limit cash game?

What about No Limit Tournament?

Space
Old 07-16-2005, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Bet AA preflop to reduce the number of callers?

AA is a strange hand. There are two ways I like to play it pre-flop (in NL). If I am in a late position and everyone has simply called the blinds, stealing blinds is probably worth it. So I bet big pre-flop.

If I'm in an early position or if only 1-2 people have called the blinds, then I'll limp in and see the flop.

In PL, you may as well just call the blind since it will get you more action than betting (unless you're in an early position where more people might call a small pot raise).
Old 07-16-2005, 06:09 AM

against many opponents, AA is still not that big a favourite. if you are up against a few suited connectors, or a lower pocket pair, then your hand is likely to get outdrawn. i think in a short handed LAG game, you are likely to get someone raising preflop, in which you can start value betting, and play back at them.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:32 AM

In fixed limit especially you do not want to reduce the number of callers. You DO want to increase the amount of money that is put in preflop.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA is a strange hand. There are two ways I like to play it pre-flop (in NL). If I am in a late position and everyone has simply called the blinds, stealing blinds is probably worth it. So I bet big pre-flop.

If I'm in an early position or if only 1-2 people have called the blinds, then I'll limp in and see the flop.

In PL, you may as well just call the blind since it will get you more action than betting (unless you're in an early position where more people might call a small pot raise).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is terrible advice.

fim
Old 07-16-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What about No Limit cash game?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise the size of the pot. given adequate stack sizes, you should be raising a lot of hands in this manner.

fim
Old 07-16-2005, 11:24 PM

You should almost never limp with AA preflop in LH or NLH. . the only time I agree with limping is from EP where you expect someone behind you to raise giving you the chance to re-raise. AA plays well against few opponents, not against the whole table.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should almost never limp with AA preflop in LH or NLH. . the only time I agree with limping is from EP where you expect someone behind you to raise giving you the chance to re-raise. AA plays well against few opponents, not against the whole table.

[/ QUOTE ]
I must agree with you, I hate playing AA against a bunch of people. Make some raising to drive some hands out. Sure I like to limp in just for the deception, if there is not many opponents left.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The highest EV for AA is 8 callers. (9 callers is actually a bit lower, and thus we prefer the big blind to be the one to fold.)

It sucks being outdrawn with AA, but it sucks even more not getting properly paid because you are playing scared.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:49 AM

Here is my phylosophy on AA: You do NOT want more than 3 other players in it with you. I, no matter what position, and from early position, unless 100% sure that someone (loose) will raise, I raise my AA. Some players will be happy to get 6 callers with AA but if YOU miss catching your set of Aces, good luck winning the pot.

Because you do not want garbage hands like 52o in it with you. These hands will only pay you if they hit two pair or better. You also do not want connectors suited in it with you. You want STRONG hands. AK would be best. Say you're up against KJ and flop comes J76, you're in great shape but you wouldn't be against T9, 98, 95, 54, 43 even 7x or 6x because they won't pay you off unless they catch their second pair or trips. But everyone that called preflop that might have KK, QQ, AJ, or Jx, or even TT will pay you off.

It's your job to make it expensive for those trying to outdraw you. And to make their E(x) not worth the investment to call. But for those that already have a hand, it wouldn't really be an "investment" now would it.