Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 AM

Default (NC) This is normal, right?

I feel like [censored]. I can't break this swing, and it's at the $11's. I have never ran like this at the 11's. It's only been 500 since the swing, but it seems like it's been a dick year. This is just the past couple of weeks, and it's damn hard to start new sets with a losing mindset. Ive looked over the histories, played less tables, but it doesnt matter. I can call the cards on the turn and river that will beat me, and they do. Really questions my status as a player.. I didn't think this was possible at the donkfest that is the 11s.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: (NC) This is normal, right?

What i have found to be true, is the first ~20-30 buyins is luck, or lack there of. After that is luck induced tilt, everyone tells themselve, "pushign w/ J9s from SB w/ 9xBB is profitable." That's what i did in the midst of my 45 buyin downswing at the $55's. It looks like you are tilting, and have let the bad beats catch up. Taking time off woould be good, but more importantly U HAVE TO FIND YOUR LEAK. Are u pushign too much? not enough? taking ALOT of 4th? if u are waiting for AA only to find yourself w/ 2x BB, then it's not a bad beat when u lose with it-- villain made the correct call-- you shoulnd't put yourself in this position.

Are u valuing AK too much or are u assumign villains will fold-- when in realizty they love to call w/ 22.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"pushign w/ J9s from SB w/ 9xBB is profitable."

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not too aggressive even HU with a steal like this. Even if Im showing a 100% blind fold rate for them I don't push; not this early. Ive been taking time off too.. took a whole break this weekend until today.

[ QUOTE ]
taking ALOT of 4th

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a 3rd, 4th, and 5th cumulative finish ratio of 46.5%; with 5th being the biggest at 17.5%

I find myself in a lot of situations where it's 5-handed and I'm probably second shortest stack at 700 or so at level 5. I'll push Ax among other hands in position. If a loose raiser raises I definitely isolate with a pocket pair.

[ QUOTE ]
Are u valuing AK too much or are u assumign villains will fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I love AK. Maybe too much. I will take coin flips, perhaps too early, but I think the edge in taking a coin flip with AK and QQ early is EV+. Obviously AA/KK is good early but you never coin flip those. These hands are the only hands I will push with until level 4 and it dips down to mid pairs with position. However, if I am low on chips compared to the blinds I will be pushing appropriately.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:50 AM

If you've been playing continously for the past couple of weeks/months, especially multi-tabling, you might just be having a simple burnout, causing you to tilt, as mentioned above.

My suggestion is take 5-7 days off, get your mind off poker, relax. Have a beer, go see a movie, etc.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've been playing continously for the past couple of weeks/months, especially multi-tabling, you might just be having a simple burnout, causing you to tilt, as mentioned above.

My suggestion is take 5-7 days off, get your mind off poker, relax. Have a beer, go see a movie, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above.

Otherwise, just keep working at your game - overall you have about 9% roi over 900 games - this is not good but not horrible either unless you are a seasoned pro.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What i have found to be true, is the first ~20-30 buyins is luck, or lack there of. After that is luck induced tilt, everyone tells themselve, "pushign w/ J9s from SB w/ 9xBB is profitable." That's what i did in the midst of my 45 buyin downswing at the $55's. It looks like you are tilting, and have let the bad beats catch up. Taking time off woould be good, but more importantly U HAVE TO FIND YOUR LEAK. Are u pushign too much? not enough? taking ALOT of 4th? if u are waiting for AA only to find yourself w/ 2x BB, then it's not a bad beat when u lose with it-- villain made the correct call-- you shoulnd't put yourself in this position.

Are u valuing AK too much or are u assumign villains will fold-- when in realizty they love to call w/ 22.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, pushing with J9s from the SB and 9x the BB IS profitable, so don't try too hard convincing yourself that it isn't.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 PM

i shoulda edited: "pushing w/ J9s in profitable" even when u know their calling range is very loose. I would KNOW they will call me w/ K2+, but i would still do it, and then call them a donk, and curse my bad luck--- basic signs of TILT. (never called them a donk in chat)
Old 12-12-2005, 02:56 PM

Variance happens but a 40+ buyin swing at lower limits is typically indicative of a downward spiral of variance leading to poor play.

Check over all your HH and maybe cut back 2 tables until you are confident you are playing as near to optimal as possible.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 PM

Assuming 5 players, everone at 9xBB, BB will call with hands as bad as K2o, but not worse, pushing J9s will increase your EV by about 20%.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:21 PM

Ive been having the same problem at the 11's but Ive been breakeven over my 260 sngs this month. I took the past couple days and played some Ring clearing a bonus and played some MTT's. Id suggest making taking a couple days off with ZERO Poker. Also your probally most definetly on tilt and doing something wrong NOW. Find your leak and patch it up. Also read Irieguys post about That Which We Will Not SPeak Of. Succes and Failure and stuff. Helps some after you read it.