Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: what to do on flop; AKo unimproved

[ QUOTE ]
well hmm, I guess trying to slow play it would seem right, but what if the players are weak passive and it does check through on the flop and turn card comes no bets, and you bet they fold, same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

what happens? ummm...the same thing that happened on the flop. what you hope is that the turn card brings something that'll tie them to the hand. there is nothing on the flop, and IF someone has the T, they're betting the flop or hitting on the turn, so i think you get more $$ by waiting for the turn IN THIS CASE. this is not a "slowplay everything" or standard play.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 -

I normally just call this flop with this action. You can't raise to protect your hand, clean up overs and you probably don't have enough equity. Getting 3-bet would really suck.

Given you raised for the free card play (since that's the only good reason to raise the flop), take the free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

oop, i failed to notice hero is closing the action on the flop. the question i guess is do we fold the turn UI? i like the raise because it costs less than calling the turn UI, but you have to be very sure that this will work- if you think the "free card" move will work, then getting 3-bet is doubtful since both require passive players to work.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:00 PM

hand 1: I would just check your option preflop. 44 is not strong against two opponents, you're probably up against three or four overcards. The flop bet is not really a protection bet, it's a value bet. Your hand is awesome and you need to earn some money off of it. sucks that they all folded but that's life. please do not check here, especially after a preflop raise.

hand 2: should have taken the free card on the turn. check behind on the river your hand is no good and they're not both going to fold 1/11 times.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it just me or did MP1 in hand 1 fold when he had already posted a blind?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you haven't read Theory of Poker Chapter 71: Infinite Odds are for Suckers. good read.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:08 PM

Hand 1: Protecting against Tx isn't such a concern, because (1) probably no one has that hand, and possibly neither opponent has anything that's a real threat to you (anyone without a ten or pocket pair higher than 4's is drawing to runner-runner), and (2) Tx only has 4 outs against you anyway. In any event, no one's folding a ten. What they very well may do instead is call you on the flop, then raise you on the turn, when you'll get a chance to 3-bet.

I think the flop bet is fine. You raised preflop, so your opponents are expecting you to bet anyway. And if someone's got a pocket pair or something, maybe you'll get played back at. (At any rate, I think you'll get called by a pair, and some other hands may call as well.)

Edit: One other consideration on the flop is that anyone with a hand like 55 (like a Tx hand) has four outs against you. I doubt someone will fold that 55, but it wouldn't be a tragedy if they did. And if your opponents are passive, they may not bet a pocket pair themselves, and you'd prefer not to give infinite odds. Also, though, getting calls from hands like, say, Ax, would be nice.

Hand 2: I used to make this flop raise regularly, but I've cut way back. BB liked his hand enough to bet it into three opponents, including a PFR. That something could be a flush draw, but if it's not, I think you're most likely drawing (especially since there's also some chance UTG has you beat), unless BB likes his gutshot or is being bold with his own ace-high. And your draw's not all that good (though the backdoor flush does help).

Once you do raise, I would take the free card on the turn. Although you could actually be giving a free card to a draw, I think you're drawing, more often than not. And I don't think a better hand is folding to just your bet.

On the river, I check behind.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Ya, I would possibly consider that flop raise on hand 2 if I am against a solid player in a 3 way pot, because you may get him to lay it down on the turn HU, but you have no fold equity on this flop with this field, so you are just charging yourself more to draw.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 -

I normally just call this flop with this action. You can't raise to protect your hand, clean up overs and you probably don't have enough equity. Getting 3-bet would really suck.

Given you raised for the free card play (since that's the only good reason to raise the flop), take the free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

oop, i failed to notice hero is closing the action on the flop. the question i guess is do we fold the turn UI? i like the raise because it costs less than calling the turn UI, but you have to be very sure that this will work- if you think the "free card" move will work, then getting 3-bet is doubtful since both require passive players to work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get 3-bet on the flop or bet on the turn enough times where raising the flop just for the free card isn't worth it.

Maybe it's weak-tight but I'm folding the turn if I don't hit a Ace, King or diamond on the turn.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:55 PM

Hand 2:

I don't like the flop raise. I hate it if its a play for a free card. Why?

Read this.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's weak-tight but I'm folding the turn if I don't hit a Ace, King or diamond on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the turn is a J or T?

a total blank looks very very thin I don't think it's a bad fold at all. if it goes bet/call in front of me I'm probably calling, check/bet is probably a fold.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what if the turn is a J or T?

a total blank looks very very thin I don't think it's a bad fold at all. if it goes bet/call in front of me I'm probably calling, check/bet is probably a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

J or T I'd consider calling, I forget to mention them as additional outs.