Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 01:00 PM

Default what to do on flop; AKo unimproved

There is a need to bet out on this. I needed to protect against 10x right.
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB folds.
------------------------------------------------------------
River play? check/fold, check/call,bet and hope?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: what to do on flop; AKo unimproved

bet hand 1 for value. sucks they folded, but yes bet.

hand 2, I like the flop raise. I would probably take the free card on the turn, but a bets ok. With your line check the river. With 2 other people in the hand, someone is going to call you with a small pair.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:06 PM

Hand 1 if the table is tight, which it usually is at stars, I might go for a check on the flop. If you always bet overcards here and are against observant opponents I'd just bet.

Hand 2 if you thought the flop raise would get you a free card (why else are you raising?) I think the turn would be a good time to take it. Fold the river if bet into, and don't value bet the nut high card here, please. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM

You should bet hand one, that is the breaks sometimes.
Hand #2, raise pre-flop, raise the flop, consider checking turn, but bet is OK too, check the river. There are too many people in it that have gon this far, if they have nothing, you win ace high. Don't think you are going to fold everbody up on a river bet.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 if you thought the flop raise would get you a free card (why else are you raising?) I think the turn would be a good time to take it

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising for a free card? What a great idea. I think I read a book with this play in it. Maybe I should inploy this into my game [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:54 PM

is it just me or did MP1 in hand 1 fold when he had already posted a blind?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:12 PM

Hand 1 is fine, perfectly played out.

Hand 2 PF is fine and so is flop play, as long as you were going for the free card, I usually take this on the turn and if bet on the turn I usually fold. In the way you played it I would have check folded the river. Either way is fine to me.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 PM

hand #1: why aren't we suggesting to let this get checked through? even bluffed? you have the nuts against all sorts of stuff. who cares if they pair one on the turn or get a straight/flush draw?

hand #2: ummm...the raise is good on the flop. take the free card. fold to a bet.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:33 PM

well hmm, I guess trying to slow play it would seem right, but what if the players are weak passive and it does check through on the flop and turn card comes no bets, and you bet they fold, same thing.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM

Hand 2 -

I normally just call this flop with this action. You can't raise to protect your hand, clean up overs and you probably don't have enough equity. Getting 3-bet would really suck.

Given you raised for the free card play (since that's the only good reason to raise the flop), take the free card on the turn.