Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Yet another \"getting a new computer\" thread...help :)

Alright, so I decided I want to buy a new computer after this bullshit of my laptop not liking to run PokerTracker. There's just something really wrong with this computer that I can't fix (it only has problems with PT...hrm, now that I think about it are their alternatives with something like Playerview?). Anyways, if there aren't here's what I want.

- Pentium 4 Processor
- 1GB of RAM, with ability to upgrade to 2GB down the road (so 4 DIMMs would be nice).
- 200-250 GB Hard Drive
- TV Tuner with Remote Control
- Possibly Windows XP Media Center Edition (do I need this for the tuner or is there another way to do it).
- Any video card that can handle 2 monitors + TV Out would be nice. Doesn't necessarily have to be DVI. Also would like the ability to add another video card in the future to get 3-4 monitors total.

Umm, that's about it. Where am I best going through (really don't want to make my own)? I've tried looking at Dell/Compaq/HP but it's just confusing me. I'm thinking maybe if Dell has those $500 off coupons I might be able to bring the price of the system closer to $1,000, but no ideas.

Anyways, help/comments/ballpark figures I'm looking at would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Yet another \"getting a new computer\" thread...help :)

Can you or somebody you know put it together if you just buy the parts? If that's an option the best route is newegg.com. You can get what you describe for much lower than Dell or others.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:24 PM

The only thing I am really concerned about is frying something with static electricty because I don't know wtf I am doing. Also, isn't there some soldering required or I am thinking of something else?

Anyone have any good links for building a computer (though I'd still like to explore buying one). Also can anyone recommend good parts from NewEgg for what I described above?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:21 PM

So here's what I'm looking at so far:

- Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM
link - $180

- Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200RPM P-ATA/133 Hard Drive, Model 6B200P0, OEM Drive Only
link - $109

- Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive Black, Model DW-D22A-B2, OEM
link - $62

- SONY Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, Model DDU1613/B2s, OEM
link - $25

And then either of these two TV Tuners

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...008&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...007&depa=1

which I may hold off on, depending on what this ultimately ends up costing.

I still need to get a motherboard (no idea wtf that is or does or how in gods name I pick it out) so any help is appreciated. Also need a video card, memory, keyboard, mouse, case, fan, power supply and OS. Question... can I use the Windows XP that came with my laptop or is there something in place to stop that? If I get the TV Tuner I think I need Windows MCE which is about $130.. XP Home is about $95.

The items I've picked out so far total $400, but I figure another $50 for case/fan, $150 for memory, no idea for a video card (say $100-200), and say $100 for a motherboard? Then $100 for an OS if I need one.

Bringing in the PC at about $1,000 with a TV Tuner and MCE (did I add that right)? Plus a keyboard, mouse, etc so say $1,100 does that seem right and a good deal?

Any help in picking out the components I don't have yet would be great. I want the cheapest thing that will get the job done. As far as video cards are concerned, I don't play many PC games, though I used to. It'd be nice if the card could handle them in case I do again, but not a huge deal.

Thanks again everyone!

Oh and any good links/advice for building your own would be appreciated!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I am really concerned about is frying something with static electricty because I don't know wtf I am doing. Also, isn't there some soldering required or I am thinking of something else?

Anyone have any good links for building a computer (though I'd still like to explore buying one). Also can anyone recommend good parts from NewEgg for what I described above?

[/ QUOTE ]

No soldering required to put a computer together, just a cross head screwdriver. (Are the flat heads or crosses called Philips? I can never remember). Just make sure to touch the metal part of the case before working in your computer. You don't need one of those gay grounding wristbands.

The NEC ND-3520A's seem to be recommended a lot so I bought two of these today. They also come in beige or black on Newegg.

Outpost is running a deal on the 1GB PC3200 Kingston HyperX DDR or the 1GB PC3200 Kingston ValueRAM. If you do get send in the Kingston rebates, you have to make sure it gets postmarked within 14 days of the invoice date.

I'd also go with a socket 939 Athlon 64 with an nForce4 board (which is what I bought less than an hour ago off Newegg), but you seem like an Intel guy so it's probably moot point to sway your opinion.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No soldering required to put a computer together, just a cross head screwdriver. (Are the flat heads or crosses called Philips? I can never remember).

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat heads are flat, phillips are cross headed.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:53 AM

I put together a computer a couple years ago. Not that hard if you're careful. The hardest part is installing the heatsink on the cpu. You have to make sure the cpu is completely covered with arctic silver and have the heatsink securely fastened to it. Otherwise the cpu will overheat any fry. If you get this right, everything else is like legos.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Doing it yourself is cheaper - if you have all the software or can get it. Also, AMD 64 is a better price choice than intel. You should be able to get a 3500 (3.5 Ghz equivalent) for nearly the same money. VIdeo cards are tougher. There's so many and you have to research to realy know them. Almost any card will do dual monitors but double check and also avoid the real bottom of the line. A saphire 9600 xt would have more power than you'd need and be moderate in price. I'd check somewhere like www.neoseeker.com and read a review or 2 on any card before I bought. Only takes a couple minutes and keeps you from getting ripped.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:44 PM

Thanks guys, can anyone give me some suggestions on the components I still haven't gotten picked out? Also, do I need another fan or is the one that comes with the case good enough??