Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Default raise or go for overcalls

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

HERO IS BB WITH 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop:
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP 2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, MP 2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP 2 calls, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?

Not only on the river but should i have found a raise on 4th street when the 3rd [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] fell? I think i played it right but any help comments are appriciated
Old 06-27-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: raise or go for overcalls

I raise this on the flop. Your hand is not invincible here and id push this hard early.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Raise the flop. Raise the turn. Raise the river.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Raise the flop because the flush draws are not going to fold anyway and I need to protect my hand right. The turn and river raise are for value correct. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Raise the flop, not necessarily to protect your hand (because as you said, flush draws will not fold anyway), but rather to make them pay for the majority of the time they miss their flush by the river.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the flop because the flush draws are not going to fold anyway and I need to protect my hand right. The turn and river raise are for value correct. Thanks for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you hit a set it's usually best to play it as fast as possible. Build huge pots and count on winning most of them.

Raise the flop for value and protection because you have a big hand that is vulnerable. The board is super coordinated which leaves all kind of backdoor draws and everybody has either hit the flop or has 2 overcards. This means they will usually call but if someone folds a live draw that's OK too.

On the turn anybody holding any A has a str8 draw and anybody holding any spade has a flush draw. Again everybody either hit the flop or has 2 overcards which means they'll probably call. This time protection is not an issue but this is a value raise as you will win this hand almost every time and players will call if they think they have a chance to win. Waiting until the river is too late because they will not have any hope of hitting on the next street.

You raise the river for value because you will likely win more than going for 2 players to overcall. If one of them folds and the other calls that the same as raising having both of them fold and the origianl bettor calling. If one of them calls your raise you are way ahead. If you get reraised you yell "yahtzee!" in the chatbox and cap.