Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2003, 04:48 PM

Default In the money and with dreams of grandeur

Its a NLHE tournament here. Blinds are currently 100-200 and I have about 1500, which is above average for the table. There are 8 players left and I'd guess I'm in 2nd or 3rd. We are already in the money, but most of the money is in the top 3 places. There are probably only 1-2 people here that I would deem short stacks, and even they are not super desperate (generally around 600-800).

I am in the SB. UTG, a shortish stack, moves in for about 450. UTG+1, a good player, reraises all in for 1300. Folded to me in the SB, and I have QQ. Time to make a tough fold? Or is it an easy fold? Or do I say dammit, long way to go to get to the real money, let's dance.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Re: In the money and with dreams of grandeur

David,

personally I would be hard pressed to lay it down. Neither the UTG or the UTG+1 have to have a great hand here. How often do we hear about guys saying you are far better off going all-in UTG with any 2 instead of taking your blind when it is 1/2 your stack?

Rest assured a good player knows this and his reraise reflects accordingly, screaming of an isolation play.

Worst case scenario I see: UTG has some random but better-than-crap hand like KTs and UTG+1 has Ax, let's say it's AJs

Against AJ of spades and KT of clubs with two red queens, you win outright 44% of the time and even if you lose to the all-in the sidepot still will give you a profit on the hand.

Move all in and hope for something better than the worst case, like you being up against J-9 suited UTG and pocket 3s UTG+1. There would need to be some very severe prize considerations to make me fold QQ here.

How did it turn out?

M.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:26 PM

Default Re: In the money and with dreams of grandeur

With such low stacks, I would go all-in. I don't think either of their raises guarantee any big hand. The 1st guy could have almost anything. The 2nd guy knowing the 1st guy could have anything, likely has a decent hand but it could be any pair or any decent ace.

Ken Poklitar
Old 04-07-2003, 05:55 PM

Default All my dreams...down the vakking dvain

UTG had TT. UTG+1 had KK and no miracle saved me. I ended up finishing 7th.