Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Re: results..

What is a flop he would have folded to?

Now. Who here thinks the A2s played it right?
I would have just pushed in preflop here instead of the 1200 chip raise.
AJ likely would have folded.

SD
Old 12-20-2002, 06:58 PM

"Of course, the flop came Kd-3d-3h and he checked. The other player bet all in for 1500 and now my friend called, as the pot represented too large a percentage of the chips on the table.

This is pot-committed baby, so give the other player a tougher decision pre-flop with his marginal hands by an all-in bet.

MS Sunshine
Old 12-20-2002, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Settle an argument

sdplayerb,

I just wanted to explain my alternative play of just calling and moving in on the flop.

By just calling you are keeping the pot small enough so that there is a good chance that your opponent may fold. Sometimes, players are more willing to commit their chips preflop and get a little gun shy on the flop especially if it is scary. Therefore, by keeping the pot at a non committed level you are giving your opponent a chance to escape and you become the chip leader.

This play works best against someone that will raise you with any ace. If you figure out the odds, it is highly unlikely that he has a good kicker. So, when you move in on the flop you still may be called and win with the jack high kicker.

Furthermore, if you figure out the combinations, it is unlikely you are up against AA or JJ since you have one of each. KK and QQ are the only possible big pairs, but you still have a chance to outdraw them. But, in a three handed game, I would not worry about being up against something big. The reason why you are moving in with this hand is that the odds are that your opponent has a much weaker hand. Calling and betting the flop may induce him to call you with an ace with a weak kicker and giving up the rest of his chips. The main reason why I would make this play would be against someone that was not afraid to put in all his chips preflop, but gets cold feet when he sees the flop does not help him.

Good Luck

Mark
Old 12-20-2002, 08:51 PM

sdplayerb,

AJ would almost always call due to the size of the pot. The problem with the small reraise is that you give the original raiser the opportunity to move in, and give up the advantage of having him fold.

Good Luck

Mark