Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Single chip non-verbal raise?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roberts Rules of Poker --

Section 3 -- Betting and Raising (Rule 15).

"15. If you put a single chip in the pot that is larger than the bet , but do not announce a raise , you are assumed to have only called. Example: In a $3-$6 game, when a player bets $6 and the next player puts a $25 chip in the pot without saying anything, that player has merely called the $6 bet ."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the limit rule. The rule is different in No-Limit:

Chapter 14:

11. A bet of a single chip or bill without comment is considered to be the full amount of the chip or bill allowed. However, a player acting on a previous bet with a larger denomination chip or bill is calling the previous bet unless this player makes a verbal declaration to raise the pot. (This includes acting on the forced bet of the big blind .)

[/ QUOTE ]

They are both right. If there is a better and you throw a large chip without saying anything it is a Call. If there is no action to you and toy throw in a large chip the bet is the denomination of the large chip. It is called the single chip rule.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are both right. If there is a better and you throw a large chip without saying anything it is a Call. If there is no action to you and toy throw in a large chip the bet is the denomination of the large chip. It is called the single chip rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, they're both right. They are two separate rules from the same rule book. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I was just trying to clear up a possible misconception. Your statement of the rule is correct.

The difference between the NL and Limit rules is what a single chip means when you are first to act. E.g., even if you are first to act on the flop, a $25 chip is a $6 bet in 3/6 limit poker. In NL, a $25 chip is a $25 bet if first to act. In both forms of poker, putting in a $25 chip in response to a $6 bet is merely a call.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, they're both right. They are two separate rules from the same rule book. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I was just trying to clear up a possible misconception. Your statement of the rule is correct.

The difference between the NL and Limit rules is what a single chip means when you are first to act. E.g., even if you are first to act on the flop, a $25 chip is a $6 bet in 3/6 limit poker. In NL, a $25 chip is a $25 bet if first to act. In both forms of poker, putting in a $25 chip in response to a $6 bet is merely a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you said rule 15 was for limit but it is the same for both. Read rule 15 again.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:19 PM

But you are right in your last response.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In NL, a $25 chip is a $25 bet if first to act on the flop,not preflop .

[/ QUOTE ] fyp
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop it's a call. Postflop it's a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the single chip rule applied post-flop as well.
?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop it's a call. Postflop it's a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the single chip rule applied post-flop as well.
?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does. If there are no betters the bet is the denomonation of the chip. If there is a bet then it is a call.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a call.

It can get pretty bad. I was playing live and had AA preflop. It came to me, and I said "Y'all know how I roll." and threw in a large chip.

The dealer made change for me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Apparently the way I roll is by revealing the strength of my hand without getting more bets into the pot, embarassing myself and losing money.
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, very nice.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the rule for betting a single chip that is greater than the minimum bet, and not verbalizing the bet?

Situation:
Blinds are 2/4.
Folded to the CO who puts in a single t10 chip and doesn't say anything.

Is this a raise or is this a call.

gl,
Mike.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a call.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you said rule 15 was for limit but it is the same for both. Read rule 15 again.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rules aren't the same for the first person to act in a round. In limit poker, you are required to bet, e.g., $6. You can't bet more, you can't bet less. A single $25 chip is a $6 bet. In NL poker, a single $25 chip is a $25 bet if you are first to act on the flop/turn/river.

The rules ARE the same if the bettor isn't first to act. E.g, if the current bet is $6, a single $25 chip is a call in both NL and limit.