Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Default National Spelling Bee

Is anybody watching the National Spelling Bee? It is being dominated by contestants of South-Central Asian ancestry. It got me to thinking about a 20/20 piece done by John Stossel on ABC. He was lamenting the incredible levels of beauracracy in India. To start a new business it takes approval of about 14 corrupt politicians/beauracrats.

It is so sad to think that a few hundred million people live in desperate poverty in India, when it shouldn't be. Indians living in Europe and America do very well, on average. If the frequently corrupt Indian government would allow free enterprise and allow every Indian to utilize their natural abilities, this could be a modern first world country.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: National Spelling Bee

I see that it was won by a boy of Indian descent.

Indians living in Europe and America do very well, on average

Two points to consider --

1. most of the first generation indians in the West are those who are highly educated as they can (more easily) get through the immigration processes.
2. First and second generations of all immigrants in this country are more motivated by themselves and pushed by their parents to succeed and specially to do well in school. Subsequent generations start to get softer.

The overall population of any country is about the same in intelligence. Living in wealth can soften up the industriousness and drive.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Corruption has certainly not helped, but the abject poverty that affects so many in India is largely a result of the caste system. I know of nowhere else in the free or developing world where accident of birth so determines what your life will be like. Pity the untouchables.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It got me to thinking about a 20/20 piece done by John Stossel on ABC. He was lamenting the incredible levels of beauracracy in India. To start a new business it takes approval of about 14 corrupt politicians/beauracrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was like 5 years ago right? He compared opening a business in India vs Hong Kong (or Seoul perhaps?)
Old 06-05-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was like 5 years ago right? He compared opening a business in India vs Hong Kong (or Seoul perhaps?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is the episode I was referring to. He had a humorous interview with the government minister in charge of accepting proposals for new business projects. To put it mildly, this guy and Stossel didn't see eye to eye. The government minister was defending the practice of extreme over regulation to protect the people.