Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Bottom boat - 20/40 live

20/40 live pretty good game. 2 EP players limp, MP1 raises. MP1 is a very loose, sorta aggressive fish who is generally awful postflop as well. MP2 coldcalls.

MP2 is a young woman who I've only played a few hands with. She seems reasonably tight and reasonably aggressive from what I've seen, though I think she is a little too loose and a little too passive or tricky for her own good. She recently played a hand where she coldcalled a raise with AJs, flopped the nut flush. Called bets on the flop and turn by the PFR and then bet the river when he checked.

I coldcall on the button with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB calls, limpers call. 6 to the flop.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] checked to MP1 who bets, MP2 raises, I coldcall, everyone folds to MP1 who calls.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] MP1 checks, MP2 bets, I raise, MP1 folds, MP2 pauses and calls.

River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] she checks, I bet, she checkraises, I think for about 30 seconds and just call.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-23-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Bottom boat - 20/40 live

everything looks good.... no effing way fo i threebet river.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:30 AM

I will jam this flop. Your line is fine, but since it is 6 handed and there is a flush draw, I like to play it straight forward. I find that the extra bet won't affect the bad players decision to see the turn and it will be difficult to make the good players make mistakes.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:08 PM

This hand reminds of Harrington's line about having a monster cracked by a bigger monster: "You're supposed to lose a lot of money!"

Boats don't grow on trees for heavens sake! With a flopped straight and turn flush on the board, both are good possibilities, and both suit her playing personality. The straight makes more sense with the "too passive, too cute" quality.

So I make or lose a lot and get three more bets in at the end. I raise once more and call a re-raise.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Boats don't grow on trees for heavens sake! With a flopped straight and turn flush on the board, both are good possibilities, and both suit her playing personality. The straight makes more sense with the "too passive, too cute" quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't. Her play appears like 77: a flopped set that slowed down on the turn when the flush came, and then woke back up when the board paired. The OP's hand looks a lot like a flush. He cold-called with two spades on the board and raised when the third spade hit, so she should put him on a flush. She doesn't seem like the player to checkraise the river with just a flush (or worse) because of the board pairing. You can say "boats don't grow on trees" but that doesn't mean you have to ignore hand reading. On a board of QQ33x, are you getting in a raising war with a 3 because "you have a boat?"
Old 12-23-2005, 08:30 PM

Flop -- I think I 3bet here to deny pot odds to gutshots. Was your plan to raise any turn, or just non-5s and 6s?

I like the river call. Against this particular player, you could make a case for 3-betting, but it's pretty convoluted I think. Your line looks like a flush, so if her prior hand is typical, then she could show up here with the nut flush thinking her hand is still good. There are eight ways for her to hold the nut flush, and four ways for her to hold 77/33 (JJ is a less likely possibility). Since you will be looking at 4bets from 77 but not from a flush, call looks good.

Nice hand.

Edit: after more thought, I think 3betting the river is pretty bad.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:35 PM

Hello Christopher,

You should strongly consider folding to the river check-raise as it is clear that she has 77, JJ, or 33. Also, your fiancee would appreciate it if you would look into getting a manicure and your eyebrows waxed. Being much more presentable will reap great benefits in your relationship.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],
jason_TT
Old 12-23-2005, 08:39 PM

She knows what's up. She was afraid of the flush and now she's not. She's saying she has a full house and from your description it's unlikely she has 3s full. If she had teh flush she'd have reraised the turn, and overpair she'd have reraised preflop, I'm not sure how a flopped straight would play but it doesn't involve checkraising the river. Her action screams 33 or 77 and there's no way you should 3bet the river.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Results

Well I hear and can think of decent arguments for both a flop 3 bet and coldcall so I guess I'm still torn there, but overall this hand was pretty straightforward I think. Glad to see I'm not getting weak on the river. I called and she had many many threes. She will never know how lucky she was as I didn't show (which I do too much live so I was proud of this one).

-DeathDonkey