Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: great, now i\'m the a-hole boyfriend

again i wasn't trying to convince them what was technically "right". notice, i didn't say anything about the people who were raising a quarter when the original bet was $1 which is clearly against the rules. i let all that stuff go. the only reason i argued about the starting chips was because i was concerned for THEIR interest, not my own. i didn't want someone to be out after 2 hands. also, we were hosting it in case that was missed. it wasn't like i went to someone else's house and tried to tell them how to run their tournament.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the $1 bet into the $15 was bad enough but my main point there was the 25 cent raise that came next. seriously, 5 people in and someone bet $1, the next person calls, the next person raises a quarter. i just tried not to laugh and then called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this. In the home game I play in they're actually very thorough about just about all the rules except this one. It gets very strange...

"I'll raise to $30."
"OK, I reraise to $40."
"I reraise to $43."
Old 11-23-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Homegames should only be taken as seriously as others make it. This is key. 2+2ers really have to lighten up when playing against fish who are friends of SOs.

[/ QUOTE ]
This has been key to the success of our home game. There are a couple of us who play thousands of hands a week, both online and live but we are able to lighten up enough that everyone's having fun and pick little things to get a little more strict about as people get the hang of things and start getting more serious.

Even though things will bug the hell out of you, let them be dumb. Don't try to force them into a serious (in terms of etiqutte and structure) player. Points things out here and there and let them happen.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...the girl who complained showed up with $5 and someone else covered for her and she didn't even know what beats what and one of the other girls came with her husband and 2 kids and her husband got so drunk he quit in the middle of the game and someone had to drive him home and then come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trailer park tournies rule!

link
Old 11-23-2005, 11:59 AM

It's frustrating trying to explain something to an idiot, let alone a group of idiots. I'd let them play without my help, and eventually they will realize their tourney structure sucks and come to you for help, if you don't pressure them into doing so yourself.

One guy I know that runs home games used to give players such a small amount of starting chips that everyone was making change for the first two hours. I told him to give more chips but he didn't listen. I "voted" by not showing up until he changed this. Not much more that can be done.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:41 PM

We have hosted and played in a number of these home tournaments. They were really bad until we printed out rules (buy in, blind structure, etc..) set a timer by each table and gave out hand rank charts (no lie). There were no more arguments just questions for clarification. Everyone had a great time and asked us when we were hosting again after our memorial day party. I won the first game and my wife won the second. Our friends still wanted us to do it all again. Of course in the end we barely won enough to cover the liquor store bill. Still, everone had a blast for a $10 buy in. Just give everyone a little more structure, you are hosting the thing after all. You should not get much flack except from the jerk that called your girlfriend...
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Many people don't take poker NEARLY as serious as some of us do. You can't BLAME them for that, thats the nature of it becoming mainstream.

Imagine you're a college NCAA basketball star, and you're playing pick up with some of your girl's friends...would you argue over the rules? Or just accept the game as an opportunity to screw around

I'm not saying you are wrong, but in times like these its best to be diplomatic and go along with the crowd, or simply not participate.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 PM

The best bit about this is when they come to your house to play your game, complain about your rules and then call you a dick. I thought you handled the situation well. Got unlucky I guess. The key is to slowly introduce correct rules. Problem is of course that these people "already know" how to play. I find it much easier to play with people who have never played before because they listen to what you are saying.

CHeers
Old 11-24-2005, 12:29 AM

It is laughable when someone who knows NOTHING about poker insists the game be run a specific way. Another example of this might be a kicker breaking a tie when two players have the same best five card hand (playing four cards from the board).
Old 11-24-2005, 12:33 AM

I was scouting a new bar tourney location on Monday and saw an entire pot left to ride on the next hand because two players had the same hand. WTF is that?