Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Prima 5/10 - Blind play

I recently moved to Prima 5/10 which is the home of some pretty tough players. I found as one of their stronger point that they defend their blinds really hard. I've found myself to play weak OOP at similar hands. This hand I tried to counter defend. Good? bad?

Prima 5/10 6-max. 6-handed

Folded to me on SB. I raise with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB who is a TAG but havent played him a lot of hands, calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5SB
I bet he calls

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3BB
I bet he raises. I 3-bet.

I thought 3-betting was better than calling here.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Prima 5/10 - Blind play

It's not a terrible idea if you think he folds to it. Otherwise I'm not a big fan of it because if he calls, you've gotta check/fold the river UI unless I'm uber-wrong and JTs has some kind of showdown value that I'm unaware of.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:29 PM

stupid play. just call and c/f river. even if he IS making a move on you...J high isn't going to win @ showdown much.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
J high isn't going to win @ showdown much.

[/ QUOTE ]

seems like more of an argument to try and fold out better hands that can't take the heat. the question is, will they just take the heat anyway and call down
Old 12-01-2005, 04:36 PM

I was thinking the same thing... kind of a shot in the dark at this point to 3bet but we've got plenty of outs if he calls. I'd rather save a bet and just call.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM

I don't see him having a good PP as he would 3-bet my PF raise. I can't see him defending any 7 -hands exept A7(?). So if he doesn't have 33-22 I have lots of outs.
However I think that I have a good amount of folding equity here. I've seen very solid players taking shots against me on the turn at similar boards in blind steal situations. I hadn't played back until that point. I think showing weakness against such players will blow apart my blind play.
I'm sure I can induce a fold from A,K,Q hands and if called I have plenty of outs to take the pot.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:05 PM

I suck in these situations but I am defending a shitload of 7 hands.

I do think you have folding equity and outs, I don't think the play blows. I'm just not convinced it's +EV or -EV.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:07 PM

Well, now that I have that information and if that's how you've been playing at this table so far (i.e. those situations have come up durring this session or have been witnessed by BB in the past) then I think the 3bet is pretty much gold.

We walk a fine line concerning the frequency of these plays though... also your situation in this hand is ideal for it for the times when he calls the 3bet with a weak, made hand at this juncture or even A high or K high which he may plan to showdown if he calls the turn.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM

The Tags I know very rarely fold a pair here, but if I have A2 or something in the BB I could possibly see myself folding if you haven't gotten out of line before. Depends how trusting the BB tag is, but I think it has merit.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:09 PM

Such a common bluff, I'm calling you down, pots got big.

I think you should have either C/r'ed or Called.

3bet i dislike, C/r has much more fear to it(Fold equity) and gets you a free card sometimes(Not often).

3bet just costs you potentially a cap and you're drawing.