Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 04:07 AM

Default Best plan w/ the nuts drawing to even better nuts?

Button is 30/14/1.88 in 90 hands. UTG is 43/13.5/1.55 in 37 hands. What are your lines for getting the most money in on hopefully a freeroll type of hand where I have the nuts and drawing to the nuttier nuts?

Ultimate Bet 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls and keeps button in or raises and hopes everyone has an A??
Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Best plan w/ the nuts drawing to even better nuts?

I would raise. I think Button's hand is good enough that he can call one bet profitably. He might be able to call two profitably as well (though UTG may be stepping on his outs somewhat), but that's what I want to make him do.

If he doesn't have a straight, then I think he has a set or two pair.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 AM

Hero raises and caps if possible.

Think about Button's range of hands when he raises preflop and 3-bets the flop. He's either got a straight or a set, and neither one is folding the turn in this large-ish pot.

Raising also might buy you an extra couple bets if you catch your flush on the river. Calling 2 cold twice on the flop screams flush draw, but when you raise (or cap) the turn not everyone is going to come to the obvious conclusion that you have the nut flush draw. This makes it more likely that you'll be able to get a raise in on the river.

BTW, fold preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] A5s ain't a good play from EP.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 AM

Well, it's not at 5/10 on UB almost all the time, but I've played games where I'd gladly limp utg with them.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:16 PM

Yeah I basically never do also, but the game had gotten pretty loose/passive lately, so I figured it wasn't all that bad.