Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Check-call Quads Kings on Turn&River?

Opponents are both loose preflop, and weak post-flop. Neither has a particularily high went to showdown percentage (about 32% each).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (3.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks... (With the intention of calling should Button bet, and raising if MP bet, since then I'm last to act...)

I figured if I bet the turn they would get scared. And once Button bet the turn, I figured the best way to get the most into the pot was to check-call both the turn and the river. (Leading the river also seems likely to scare weak players.)

How'd I do?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Check-call Quads Kings on Turn&River?

i'd bet river. i'd also have bet the turn.

focus on more marginal hands. unbeatable monsters isn't where you make your $$.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 PM

The turn is a safe card, not a scare card. If you lead, MP/Button may feel comfortable raising with as little as a pair of fours. Checking is a bad idea.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:46 PM

I would bet the turn and river. The 3 Kings on the board will not scare off players, you'll get calls from any pair, 3, 4, or A-highs. Sometimes junky unpaired hands will call the turn to try and pair up on the river. Sometimes you'll get raised by stuff like 55 or A4. Don't get fancy - value bet your quads because lots of worse hands will call.

Additionally, if you are going to check-call the river, after the line you've taken, it'd be better to bet it. You have a chance of trapping MP if button should raise, and alternatively there's no guarantee button has a bet-worthy hand on the river, he could have been taking a shot w/ A-high on the turn, which he'll pay off with but not bet himself.

Surf
Old 07-07-2005, 01:05 PM

No offense, but you could have gotten at least 2 more bets here. You should have raised turn after you made the mistake of not betting. Then you shuld have bet the river.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:08 PM

You should bet the turn. It would be much different if you had KK on a KKx board, but your going to get alot of callers with poor hands here. And maybe even some raises if someone has 77-99
Old 07-07-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but you could have gotten at least 2 more bets here. You should have raised turn after you made the mistake of not betting. Then you shuld have bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

After checking the turn, raising the button bettor would often be a mistake..it would have been much better to bet the turn and hope for a raise, since many players will raise a weak pair here but not be apt to call 2 cold with one. Given the position of the turn bet calling is his best option, but he should have then bet the river for the same reasons as previously mentioned.

Surf
Old 07-07-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After checking the turn, raising the button bettor would often be a mistake..it would have been much better to bet the turn and hope for a raise, since many players will raise a weak pair here but not be apt to call 2 cold with one. Given the position of the turn bet calling is his best option, but he should have then bet the river for the same reasons as previously mentioned.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

He should have bet the tunr, but when he didnt, he probably should have raised. No one ever gets credit for quads. Anyone with a mid PP or "top full house" here will call.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one ever gets credit for quads. Anyone with a mid PP or "top full house" here will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right. Just today I had AK in a 5-handed game, and the flop came down KKK. I just called a late position bet on the flop (OTB) to get two overcalls behind, raised the turn (which was a baby, maybe a 2 or 3), and then another player and I capped the river (which was an 8). He showed 99, and was four-bets-sure that his boat was good.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:52 PM

Absolutely horrible. Both in terms of how your played it and how you thought having the absolute nutz in ahand warranted posting on here for review.