Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Horrid downswing...maintianing confidence?

Having been a winning player at 2/4 6 for a while, I dedided to take 1000 BB shot at 5/10. Started out well, but then not so much, misplaced aggression, a fair degree of bad like and some tilt, etc. You know the deal. So, responsibly, I dropped back down to 3/6 and 2/4 6, and yet the same thing kept happening. Spiking sets/kickers, 4 cards str8s, set over set, overlagginess vs. calling stations, etc... At a certain point, I begin to feel that, despite my track record, I'M NEVER GOING TO BE A WINNING PLAYER AGAIN.

Has anyone else had this fun little experience, and what techniques did you use to rebound. (I've come back a little, playing 2/4 in a very tight-solid style...)

Thanks in advance,
Pooh,

-down 200 bb's over 6k hands is not a fun place to be..
Old 06-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Horrid downswing...maintianing confidence?

Take a few days off. It's not hard to do if your not playing for income. Then just ignore your losses........ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2005, 05:11 PM

Try 10-handed for a couple days.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:11 PM

I've had that fun little experience two times. Last time, the big time, it cost me $8,000.

I thought I was getting drawn out, and that all I needed was to try to keep my confidence and ride it out.

Unfortunatly, bad luck wasn't the problem, bad play was. I had started making more mistakes along the way, getting sloppy and nonchalant. I had lost my fire.

I tried to rebound, but I couldn't. So I took a break that lasted for two months. When I was feeling like it was payback time I started playing again. Now I'm struggeling, playing fewer table and lower limits, trying to get back into the grove. It's going allright.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:25 PM

You will be a winning player again.

If you are getting outdrawn and losing because of bad luck and not bad play, then thats poker. A 1000bb roll for the 5/10 is enough to off set these sort of swings.

What site do you play 5/10 on?
Old 06-19-2005, 08:10 PM

This worst part is this mind-numbing, rage inducing, TILT, that if anything is WORSE when I'm not playing right now. I'm pissed at myself for losing (because some/most of it was my fault), I'm pissed at other people for being lucky idiots, I'm pissed at stars for having a rigged shuffle (joking). I'm just angry [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].
Old 06-19-2005, 08:29 PM

seth, i had a hard time moving up to 5/10 6-max as well. i dropped 250bb in my first 5k hands and after 13k was still down 200bb's overall.

give it some time, you'll get there.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Seth,

Just out of curiosity, why did you move from 2/4 to 5/10, skipping 3/6? Was it because you wanted to play Party?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:12 PM

i have carefully read this post and i'm uncertain as to its whiny content - i'm tempted to accept it as a legitimate query rather than an insufficent losing streak nancy post

ultimately though losing 200BB's is so dull i cant do it

if you had some decent resolve about what you were doing losing 200BB's would be closer to pleasure than pain - how do you expect to survive in a game where you know you will swing 300BB's from time to time if you decide your a loser when you lose 200BB's ? - losers and people who think they are losers are the same thing

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
how do you expect to survive in a game where you know you will swing 300BB's from time to time if you decide your a loser when you lose 200BB's

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a great sentence because it's so simple and so true

I have one comment though. if you start a game and immediately lose 200 BB, it's a lot less likely you're a winner than if you play 50k hands and then have one. sure, it's possible you were unlucky in the former case and lucky in the latter, but it's still more likely you're a loser in the first case.

but that leads back to the importance of self-diagnosis. the numbers lie, a lot. you have to be honest with yourself and rate your play against your opponents, because you can play great and lose or play awful and win.