Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Not sure how to steal blinds and when to give up

BB seems like decent player, 17/8, maybe a little tight/passive pf, nothing out of ordinary seen

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero??

Should I have folded to the 3bet on the flop? or even just give up after one bet? &lt;confused&gt;
Old 05-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Not sure how to steal blinds and when to give up

First question: Not suggesting this is right or wrong, but what is your reasoning for raising the flop?

Second: If your raise is just called and it's checked to you on the turn, are you betting again unimproved?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:41 PM

I would check here and call a bet on the river.

It's situations like this where reads are very important. Is this guy capable of 3-betting the flop with nothing? Does he suffer from Fancy play syndrome and could he have trips here looking to check-raise you? When playing heads up you really need a feel for your opponent. My default line though is what I stated above.

Edit: Oh yea, and I'm not a huge fan of raising the flop here, it doesn't really accomplish anything. If he's bluffing, he can now get away from his hand. If he's not you just invested more money in a pot where you're a dog. Again, reads are very important.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:41 PM

Stealing blinds with AKs is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 03:44 PM

With villain calling your PF raise AND betting out on the flop, I think you're probably behind here. The flop has missed you and the pot is small; I would just fold it on the flop.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With villain calling your PF raise AND betting out on the flop, I think you're probably behind here. The flop has missed you and the pot is small; I would just fold it on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding the flop here is bad, in my opinion. Heads up against a random hand, your AK is the best hand more often than not. If you're going to fold every time someone bets into you on a rag flop, you're going to be giving up way too much money.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:06 PM

TURN: I think BB is going to try to checkraise you. I would check it through.

PS: On the flop, I don't like your raise.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:09 PM

I raised the flop because I thought BB would auto bet the flop seeing the paired-low-card flop, and I guess I was *hoping* he would fold to the raise

I bet again on turn, UI

What do I do on the turn if I don't raise the flop, and am bet into again?

Anyone fold the flop?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:11 PM

Hmm...never really considered this. At first thought I thought you were right, and should be playing this for value rather than stealing. But then I wondered, if I don't steal with my garbage hands, and I don't steal with my premium hands, then should I only steal with my medium hands? What range of hands would you steal with?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:14 PM

I doubt villian 3-bets the flop if he's going for the C/R on the turn. I also doubt that he hit anything on the flop, unless he has A6. He's just afraid he'll get raised again if he leads the turn. Of course, he could be passive enough to just be calling down with that 6. I'd check behind and call a river bet.