Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 07:04 AM

Default Re: I think my biggest leak is...

Because even if you suck ass it would be hard for you to misplay AK post flop when you miss enough that it would actually matter to your overall win rate.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:22 AM

Ed, all I can say is that if I weren't heterosexual and if I didn't love breasts so much (ie if I was gay) I would make love to you.

Hold'em is not a game based on your first two cards only. It's a game heavily based on the flop, turn and river because that is where a lot of the money goes in and ultimately where the key decisions need to be made.

People focus so strongly on pre-flop play. "Oh you shouldn't have played J9s or K10s in that position" or "Why did you call a 3bet raise with pocket 8's in the cutoff when you clearly knew there's 5 other callers and one of them?"

But where is the focus on correct flop, turn and river play. Yes selecting the right hands to play pre-flop is very important, but all that goes down the drain if you don't play it correctly once the board comes up.

So you flop your Aces-full in a 10 way pot. Well, you could check it all the way down pretending you got nothing, but the goal is not to get sneaky and deceptive and try to play your hand hideously. The goal is to win as much money as possible and thus increase your EV. Yeah, everyone knows how Aces full is going to win 99.9 percent of the time, but how much are you going to win and how are you going to maximize that pot with key decisions you make post-flop is more vital and is thus the leak most of the players, including myself, have.

Ed your book isn't revolutionary in any means, but the fact that it covers so much post flop play makes it worth it's money ten times over. There is just such a lack of literature available with regards to post-flop play.

If you do come out with a second book, I hope you will continue to focus and advance on post-flop play.

Great post Ed.

Lawrence
Old 10-14-2004, 07:29 AM

My reply was mostly to show that Ed Millers categorization of the biggest leak as "the inability to recognize leaks" seems like semantics to me. It's like saying the biggest preflop mistake is that you don't recognize the preflop mistakes you make.

And I definately think misplaying overcards (which AK is only a small subset of) postflop is definately a big problem area for many poker players, and it costs them lots of money.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: bump. for those who missed it.

[ QUOTE ]

Enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really did. Thanks to Ed and brick
Old 10-14-2004, 12:36 PM

I think my biggest leak is...

Having JoeTall to my left in live games [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having JoeTall to my left in live games

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a checkraising bonanza to me.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:25 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

my biggest leak is not having that maniac ( [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) sfer to my right in live games [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Oh, and by the way. NO ONE plays ace-king, suited or offsuit, poorly enough to turn it into a net long-term money loser. No one. The hand is too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a DARE!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Oh, and by the way. NO ONE plays ace-king, suited or offsuit, poorly enough to turn it into a net long-term money loser. No one. The hand is too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll volunteer. 15K hands. AKo 159 times, -0.2 BB/Hand.

Should I just talk to Sample Size Man about this one?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll volunteer. 15K hands. AKo 159 times, -0.2 BB/Hand.

Should I just talk to Sample Size Man about this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh ... yes.

For me AKo has a standard devation of 3.91BB/hand. Assuming your's is similar, you would have to have played AKo about 1500 times for -.2BB/100 to be less than zero in the statistically significant sense.