Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Default TT vs. AK board - ok fold on flop?

Villain is fairly solid, and I haven't seen him get out of line or show down anything stupid.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds...

Standard? Check/folding here seems too weak, but I can't imagine someone bluff-raising w/ an A and K on the board if he doesn't have one.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: TT vs. AK board - ok fold on flop?

Don't cap. Flop line is fine if you know villian will be able to lay down JJ/QQ.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:58 AM

It's fine -
Capping is ok if you're HU. It can cause some players to get scared of an A if he has QQ or something.
On the flop, you're not ahead of anything. If he was "bluffing" he still had you beat with Q's or J's.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's fine -
Capping is ok if you're HU. It can cause some players to get scared of an A if he has QQ or something.
On the flop, you're not ahead of anything. If he was "bluffing" he still had you beat with Q's or J's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually would agree with capping if it was a usual party donk but as OP said, the villian is solid.

Still, not capping and betting the flop is fine because you don't cap with AJ/AQ/ATs/KQ
Old 05-08-2005, 12:24 PM

Good fold. You are beaten by any standard raising hands.
To go further is just chip spewing.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks to all for the comments, it sounds like we all agree that bet/fold is better than check/fold or check/call here.

Let's talk about the PF cap:

My thinking is that a solid player will 3-bet PF with AK, AQ, or any of the top 4 premium pairs. This would mean that I'm ahead PF more than half the time.

I agree that in a multi-handed pot I should just call the 3-bet because I may have to dodge a lot of overcards on the flop. Since it's HU I thought a cap was appropriate.

Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking is that a solid player will 3-bet PF with AK, AQ, or any of the top 4 premium pairs. This would mean that I'm ahead PF more than half the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would say that this depends on your image at the table and the villain's raising standards. AQ/AQs (for me) is a hand that I reraise against a loose raiser, cold call sometimes, and fold sometimes (depending on position relative to the raiser, who's in, how many callers so far, etc.)
If you think he's raising with looser standards to isolate you it might be worth a cap. It is a gamble because you will be out of position for the rest of the hand, and the flop may come scary (like it did).
I think you can go either way, dependent upon what you think of this guy, and what you think he thinks of you. (follow? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 05-08-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can go either way, dependent upon what you think of this guy, and what you think he thinks of you. (follow? )

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. This was one of those sessions where I had been catching good cards. Probably raised PF 4 out of the last 20 hands and won several pots w/o a showdown. There's a good chance this guy thought I was getting out of line.

Thanks all,

-Salty
Old 05-08-2005, 02:37 PM

This is one place where reads REALLY help. After you are 3-bet, quickly go to PokerTracker and look this guy up. See what and how often he is raising. Or, check your notes if you have them.

To paraphrase the heroic 20-tabler, getting reads on these guys seems like pain. But, it's a good way to learn. I have been trying to do it more often myself in situations just like this.

Nak