Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 01:53 AM

Default UncleSalty\'s First Super-LAGtastic Brag Post (No Content)

I'll refrain from posting the quad sevens I got on the SAME TABLE about 5 hands before this one. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

Me likey the fishes.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: UncleSalty\'s First Super-LAGtastic Brag Post (No Content)

check/call check/raise after 3betting preflop screams K and likely killed your action

bet the flop, they expect you to and won't give you credit for your hand
Old 03-29-2005, 03:06 AM

you should never. ever. under any circumstances. check this flop.

you realize you nearly let the flop get checked through when you flopped quads, right?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check/call check/raise after 3betting preflop screams K and likely killed your action

bet the flop, they expect you to and won't give you credit for your hand

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
you should never. ever. under any circumstances. check this flop.

you realize you nearly let the flop get checked through when you flopped quads, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, ok, someone give me the absolute standard correct line here. I didn't post this for advice because there's not a lot of value in learning to extract the maximum from quads. But really, how many bets could I have missed here? These guys were pretty aggressive post-flop so I figured my flop check would be taken as weakness. Should I just lead every street? It seems like that would definitely kill my action and I'd have less of a chance to get 2BB on the turn.

Anyway, I'd love to hear the best line for next time. But...I'm still pretty happy with tonight's short-term results [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Salty
Old 03-29-2005, 05:33 AM

I don't think checking the flop was that bad of a play. You could make an argument that if the remaining players hits a good card on the turn, your quads could end up being more profitable. With your read, of course. Now, if they were all rocks, then you'd definitely have to bet that flop.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:24 AM

Occassionally I will slowplay a set (or in this case quads) after I 3bet or capped a flop, if the table has been very tight with a lot of folds to raises, and if there was only 2 or maybe 3 other players left with me on the flop.

However, with 16.5 bets in the pot and four opponents left, I bet because I expect to get some action from at least a couple of them. There is also some deception in fastplaying a flop like that, because a lot of people would expect a slowplay.

Fastplaying is the new Slowplaying.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:16 AM

If you bet, there's no way anyone with any sort of draw is folding up on the flop. Even if they give you credit for one K, they'd be insane not to call with two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], one big [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], or two broadways. You're offering a whopping 16.5:1, so just bet out. Hopefully someone with a FF will raise, then you can smoothcall and then possibly even 3-bet the turn.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:22 AM

The fact that this could've went to the river with just 1SB put in is pretty appalling.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These guys were pretty aggressive post-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

more reason to just bet the flop.

slightly OT, but you do realize that you were tight passive in this hand not loose aggressive, right?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:32 PM

Guys, thanks to all for the advice. I think the honest truth is that when I saw those sweet, sweet, cowboys I just wanted that hand to last forever.

Anyway, I am personally annoyed by the 10 threads per week asking for advice on playing quads, so I hope everyone understands that my intent was to simply share my joy.

But, considering I had quad 7's and quad K's 10 minutes apart, I guess I might as well learn how to play them properly for next time.

-Salty