Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Tournament Hand Advice

I'd like to submit this hand and more importantly my thinking during the hand and I ask that some experieced players critique my thoughts here.
The following hand takes places with 2 tables left on a satellite tourney paying 6 deep.
Blinds are 60/120

SB posts the small blind of 60
BB posts the big blind of 120
You have been dealt [8h 8s]
UTG +1 folds
Hero raises to 400 (t1880 prior to raise)
[OK, I figure this to toogood of a hand to fold even from EP, and I figure my stack size is big enough in relation to the blinds where I'm not in push/fold mode, I'm hoping to take down the blinds or at least narrow the field to contend the pot heads up]
Villian raises to 680
ALl folds till
Hero calls 280
[villan is one of the chip leaders but i saw him make what I thought were some pretty weak plays like calling a big all in reraise with qjs without much already invested in the pot. Anyway here is where i'm all confused. the bet is too small to fold to i think, its the min re-raise. I elect to call figuring to push if only 1 over falls and without an A. I fugure I have enough of a stack left with 1200 if i need to check-fold the flop. I really don't have a good line of what this guy has, my best guess is big cards maybe AJ-A9, KQ...along those lines. Anyone think i should have pushed here or was taking the flop a good idea?
The flop is [2h 3h Td]
Hero bets 1,200, and is all in
[OK, not too bad only 1 over and a low over at that way better than a K or A I think. I like my chances of having the best hand here and I push accordingly]
Villian calls 1,200
Hero shows [8h 8s]
Villian shows [Qs Ts]
[Oh jeez I'm in real bad shape]
The turn is [6d]
The river is [Th]
Hero shows two pair, Tens and Eights
Villian shows three of a kind, Tens
Viliaan wins the pot (3,940) with three of
a kind, Tens
Hero stands up
[Thank you, and goodnight]

I often get confused in hands which occur right around this phase of a tourney and I'm hoping some of your thoughts will set me on a good train of thinking. Thank you in advance.

--sean
Old 08-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Tournament Hand Advice

Perfect example of why you don't open raise up front with a mid PP. 88 is a nice hand, but up front I think you should be limping and hoping to hit a set or a lot of litte cards.

When you are reraised you are obligated to call the raise for the pot odds, but when this flop hits you need to check since he raised you and there is one overcard. Hope and pray he checks it so you can get another shot at an 8 on the turn.

I would call a small bet on the flop and turn if my pot odds were good, and fold to any sign of real strength.

You absolutely cannot go all in on this flop. It is the biggest mistake you can make given you could be up agains an overpair, or a set at this point.