Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:42 PM

Default Re: 10/20.. pair and flush draw

why do you I keep hearing EASY fold when you are getting 4:1 on your money with a strong hand? It may be a FOLDABLE hand, but surely it cannot be an easy fold.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: 10/20.. pair and flush draw

you guys who think villian is taking this line with a hand we beat are nuts.

this isnt 2/4. and many players who are "too loose" pf at this level, play very well postflop.

hero had a sign on his head saying i have a straight and/or flush, and a guy who minraised pf (which is often done with suited cards), says "i have that beat".
a turn fold is prob. best here, but not dumping this on the river is a very costly play, as hero found out.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:11 AM

Default My Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
you guys who think villian is taking this line with a hand we beat are nuts.

this isnt 2/4. and many players who are "too loose" pf at this level, play very well postflop.

hero had a sign on his head saying i have a straight and/or flush, and a guy who minraised pf (which is often done with suited cards), says "i have that beat".
a turn fold is prob. best here, but not dumping this on the river is a very costly play, as hero found out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to greg about this last night. Everyone thinks that the river call is the big mistake. I have absolutely no problem with the river call. If you are going to call the turn, folding to that river action is insane. If you call the turn, you are presuming that he could have a straight/set/etc. a chunk of the time. That river bet is EXACTLY the kind of bet (i.e. "blocking") that those hands would make on the river. I certainly wouldn't fold the river here if I called the turn.

The real problem, as fsu points out, is on the turn. That's the time to let it go if you're going to do it. You have no real redraw is beaten. If your hand doesn't fare well against his range after the min-raise, easy fold.

It comes down to hand reading. I told greg last night, what do people generally min-raise with? Answer is: suited aces, suited connectors, pocket pairs. Given that, we are in a lot of trouble when he check-raises the turn. He could have a set, but we have to discount that somewhat based on the flop action.

Taking a step further back, when you consider his range of hands, checking behind on the turn to exercise pot control after hitting the flush starts to look better and better. Lead for half-pot and a call of the raise on the flop looks a lot like a bigger flush draw for Villain.

ML4L
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: My Thoughts

I agree 100% with this, was thinking the same thing. if you're going to call the turn I think it's probably a bad play NOT to call the river unless we realize on the river we made a mistake in calling the turn.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: My Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
unless we realize on the river we made a mistake in calling the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to mention: nothing precludes you from doing a 180 and changing your mind on the river. If you decide you're beat, nothing you can do about the $450 at that point; might as well save $900.

But, again, I can't imagine changing my mind in an online game if I did call the turn, because $900 is exactly the type of bet that I would be expecting to see... In a live game, maybe you can pick up a tell that lets you get away...

Mike