Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: mid year TAX question

thanks all i will look into it
Old 07-02-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About this waiver ont he first year...Do they inform you with a letter or something, that you earned enough taxable income in such and such a year, and they are wiaving the penalty for the first offense?

I don't thiiink I should've paid quarterly last year, I don't think I earned enough, but I'm not sure. This year I DEFINIITELY earned enough, but haven't paid Quarterly, so I would think this year is my warning year...

[/ QUOTE ]

After filing my taxes in April, the first taxes for which I should have paid quarterly, they sent me info on quarterly taxes, and the appropriate forms. They didn't say anything about a fee being waived or a first offense. But it apparently was. Hope this helped.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:26 AM

If you are liable for the estimated tax penalty, the amount is not great - it might be six percent of the tax you owe. Probably less, based on which exemptions you hit. Hiring a CPA might be overkill, costing more than it's worth. There are lawyers, CPAs, enrolled agents, and paid preparers - in the hierarchy. Were I you, I would look for an enrolled agent - a person who has passed a competence test with the IRS. Not as expensive as the others, but competent. Your tax return will not require a rocket scientist. Nor a lawyer nor a CPA, imo.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a CPA - H&R block doesn't know its head from its ass

[/ QUOTE ]

If I mess up my taxes following a CPA's advice/consulting, can I legally blame him?