Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: June 2nd: TWO SEATS OPEN!

Hey Grandgnu I cant make this one but put my name on the list for the next one.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:15 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: June 2nd: TWO SEATS OPEN!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Grandgnu I cant make this one but put my name on the list for the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey there, unfortunately, I will likely not be the person holding the next event. Kilgore Trout held the first one, I'm holding this one, and it's likely that someone else will host the third game. (i.e. I am not the keeper of the list, but just keep in touch in the forums and something will likely pop up)
Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Central Mass 2+2 Challenge Two-The Suckout Masters Strike Back

[ QUOTE ]
I may be a little bit late, AJ. I have to run up to Beverly and sabotage Ilya's car.

See you at 1:00

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a plan, w00t!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:43 PM

Curious-- did the 2 empty seats get filled? Assuming I don't get lost, see you tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious-- did the 2 empty seats get filled? Assuming I don't get lost, see you tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did not get filled, but 14 players is still nice enough, especially with the bonus $20 that everyone is throwing in:

$1400 main pool
$280 additional side action
Old 06-04-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be a little bit late, AJ. I have to run up to Beverly and sabotage Ilya's car.

See you at 1:00

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're the one who broke my car last time! I should have known!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Results Of Tonights Tournament

It has been an interesting week, to say the least. We had numerous cancellations of players (obviously they knew they could not hope to stand against AJ "The Triple Threat")

And down to 14 attendants for today's game and only 11 showed (JoeTall, Suited Deuce and Jstnrgrs, where were ya???)

I guess they got the last-minute jitters as well. Anyway, Foxxer was late, so both tables played 5-handed for a bit. Eventually Foxxer would be first out. He was playing at the "other" table (i.e. not mine).

We all started with 5,000 chips and a lengthy and forgiving structure, meant to allow everyone a chance to make some moves without losing their entire stack, or resorting to an all-in fest early-on.

At the "other" table, EatingAnOreo caught Quad's a few times and got paid off. He was the one to take down Foxxer, who I hear had been saying "I just want to make the final table" the whole time. EatingAnOreo opted to take the extra 2,000 chips and surrender the $20 bounty to the prize pool.

I had been getting decent hands against a 5-person lineup, got A/10 about three times early on, but couldn't make much happen with it. Ghazban harrassed me consistantly, letting me know I was playing predictibly and touting how I was no match for him.

I saw my starting 5,000 chips dwindle to 2,000, but was able to build myself back up to 6,000 in short order. After we combined for final table action, I was sitting on a good 12-14K, and was chip leader.

Good ol' Kilgore Trout would finish in 10th place, as I began my start of the suckouts (I certainly titled this event aptly). Dan, short-stacked pushed all-in with A/A. I found Q/Q and re-raised to isolate. I saw he had me in bad shape and started chanting for a Queen, and it was the first card on the flop and the last card on the river. We saw a good four or five Quads during the tournament, it was riDONKulous! Kilgore left in a hurry, but at least he didn't play his hand bad, even though that's not as much comfort as being a lucky prick like me and winning it all (but we'll get to that later). Earlier Dan and I both held K/J and a flop of Q/Q/9/10/A found us both betting like maniacs and splitting the pot.

Finishing up in 9th place would be Erin, who was eliminated by MrMoo (who opted to take the $20 cash)

8th place would belong to EatingAnOreo, who's opponent Ilya snagged the 2,000 extra chips and surrendered the bounty to the prize pool.

Our "Samoan" friend Crunchster would be next on the hit list, eliminated by the ever talkative Ghazban who secured the $20 cash bounty.

Ghazban was a force to be reckoned with, and outdid me in the constant banter department (I surrender Ghazban, the title is now yours!)

Ghazban wasn't content to just eliminate one player though, he took down Jbrochu in 6th place and snagged another $20 cash bounty.

Since we only had 11 players, our payouts went from 4 to only the top 3 (50%/30%/20%)

In 5th place SpaceMonkey9 would also fall to the dangerous Ghazban, who was now amassing a chip stack to rival my own (I had about 20K in chips and didn't move much, while Ghazban was steadily increasing his, taking down three players in a row and closing in on my chip count)

Four-handed saw me give some money away to Ghazban. He raised with Q/Q and I re-raised with A/10 and he pushed. There was about 15K in the pot and another 5K to call, and if I lost I would still have about 17K, so I did. Ilya and MrMoo were both shorter-stacked and very excited that we might be making it into the money. But a flop of 5/5/4/6/5 gave me no relief and Ghazban doubled through.

I would strike next, taking down Mr Moo on the bubble. He pushed all-in pre-flop, but didn't have enough chips to force the larger stacked Ghazban or myself out of the hand. With an easy call for both of us, Ghazban caught trip 5's on the turn and I caught a straight on the river. It was checked down the whole way and Mr Moo went out on the bubble (but in his defense, he's been playing great poker lately, having placed in the money I believe 2 out of 4 times at my house, and this finish was mighty close)

Three-handed saw my master suckout skills return. Ghazban caught K/K and raised. I found 10/10 and pushed, and he had me covered by only a few thousand, but insta-called. The flop gave me the miracle 10, and I went on to snag a riDONKulous chip lead.

I believe the very next hand I found 9/9 and pushed all-in. Ilya called and very short-stacked Ghazban dumped his hand, hoping to move up to 2nd place in the money and another $110.

Both Ilya and I held 9/9 and split the pot. Ghazban wound up short-stacked to the point where he had to go all-in from the small blind against my big blind. I called and flopped a pair of 8's, and he had an out if a 6 would come and give him the straight, but it didn't hit.

The final hand wouldn't be far off, as Ilya, sitting on about 12K or so in chips (I believe I had around 60K or so) found A/8 and pushed from the small blind. I woke up with 9/9 and called and Ilya found no help.
[/b]
1st: Grandgnu (aka AJ "The Triple Threat") $570 (plus four $20 bounties)

2nd: Ilya $340 (1 bounty surrendered for 2K chips)

3rd: Ghazban $230 (plus three $20 bounties)

Anyway, it was a fun time and I got paid off enough in the end to make it worth the cleanup afterwards. I've had a string of 2nd and 3rd place (or bubble) finishes lately, so it felt really great to take 1st place (my wedding fund thanks you all, big date is October 1st)

Anyway, Kilgore Trout hosted the first event, I hosted this one, so not sure who will host the sequel. My vote is that it be titled:

2+2 Central Mass Challenge III: Return of the Donk-Eye
Old 06-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Thanks & I\'m stubborn

First off, thanks to AJ and his lovely (and lively!) fiancee for hosting this marquee event. I am sure I speak for very many of us when I say I had a great time.

So, if I take the bounty, I have 7600 out of a total of 57000 chips in play. I don't remember the exact chip distributions at that point, but I have a decent idea: AJ and Ghazban both had stacks in the mid-high teens and the other 5 of us were all pretty short, sitting on somewhere between 3000 and 8000 each. I ran Eastbay's ICM program for two chip distributions in that ballpark and got 13.6% and 13.9% equity for my 7600 stack. That works out to about $155 of the $1120 prize pool.

After taking the 2000 chips, I had 9600 out of a total of 59000. When I ran Eastbay's program for the same two chip distributions, I got 16.1% and 16.4% equity. This works out to about $185 of the $1140 prize pool.

So, according to an ICM model anyhow, I gain about $10 by taking the chips over the bounty.

I don't really see why the high blinds would invalidate the ICM model results, so I think taking the chips was the right move.

Curious what you guys think.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Thanks & I\'m stubborn

[ QUOTE ]
First off, thanks to AJ and his lovely (and lively!) fiancee for hosting this marquee event. I am sure I speak for very many of us when I say I had a great time.

So, if I take the bounty, I have 7600 out of a total of 57000 chips in play. I don't remember the exact chip distributions at that point, but I have a decent idea: AJ and Ghazban both had stacks in the mid-high teens and the other 5 of us were all pretty short, sitting on somewhere between 3000 and 8000 each. I ran Eastbay's ICM program for two chip distributions in that ballpark and got 13.6% and 13.9% equity for my 7600 stack. That works out to about $155 of the $1120 prize pool.

After taking the 2000 chips, I had 9600 out of a total of 59000. When I ran Eastbay's program for the same two chip distributions, I got 16.1% and 16.4% equity. This works out to about $185 of the $1140 prize pool.

So, according to an ICM model anyhow, I gain about $10 by taking the chips over the bounty.

I don't really see why the high blinds would invalidate the ICM model results, so I think taking the chips was the right move.

Curious what you guys think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're a Russian Math Master. Too bad math guys don't always win, you've gotta have a "FEEL" for this game. Like when your opponent has Aces and you have Queens, or your opponent has Kings and you have Tens, or your opponent has Queens and you have Ace/Ten. I won two out of those three hands, both where I had about a -3% chance of winning. You obviously have much to learn, my young padawan. w00t!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 PM

Default PICTURES FROM THE EVENT!

Check out these ugly mugs people, this is why the 2+2 forums are text-based.