Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Deep Stacks PLO tournament 18:15 ET

You're welcome.

I put it in a spread sheet. But there's no way I can provide a copy, sorry. There is no way to do a perfect chop with 3 or more players.

Pokerstars uses a simple method called a "chip count". The way this works is they give each player 3rd place money (in your case) and then split the rest of the prize pool based on the current chip count. This method is fine if the stack sizes are close (or if there are only 2 players involved - it's perfect in that case), but once someone gets a decent lead (50% or more) it overestimates their share. In your case the chip leader would have been overpaid by about 5%.

A few months ago I read a thread in MTT about a certain theory for estimating fair chops. For the life of me I can't remember what it's called. I can't find it on the search either. I remember how it works though and my spreadsheet is based on it.

Anyway, it's based on the idea of estimating your chances to finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc based on stack sizes. Barry Greenstein's site has some info about the general problem here (note: math heavy).
Old 12-14-2005, 04:05 PM

Grats on the money! Doubt i'll ever play one again.

And i think that splitting isnt all that trivial if one should belive mr greenstein.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Yikes I went out 4th in that bad boy and you chopped after I left!! sigh! I liked the tourney alot but never again on a work night. I went to bed about 3 A.M. and had to wake up at 6A.M. I thought it was a long but fun tourney and took more skill to win than when the blinds really come on fast. I guess the chip leader did good chopping because he came in second, or maybe he just gave up after chop.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the chip leader did good chopping because he came in second, or maybe he just gave up after chop.

[/ QUOTE ]
They didn't care about TLB and pushed all-in every hand.