Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Help with a hand I was totally lost all the way through

UTG is 33/10/3.7 after 250 hands. I am 34/15/3. PL100 six max.

Seat 1: SB (US$138.50 in chips)
Seat 2: Hero (BB) (US$121.25 in chips)
Seat 3: UTG (US$191.12 in chips)
Seat 4: UTG+1 (US$67 in chips)
Seat 5: CO (US$88.25 in chips)
Seat 6: Button (US$48.37 in chips)
SB: posts small blind US$0.50
Hero: posts big blind US$1
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Hero [Jh Ad]
UTG: calls US$1
UTG+1: folds
CO: calls US$1
Button: calls US$1
SB: calls US$0.50
Hero: checks

So its limped all the way round to me in the BB. Would anyone raise here? I thought about it but didn't want to play a big pot OOP with this hand.

----- FLOP ----- [7c 9s Ac]
SB: checks
Hero: bets US$5
UTG: calls US$5
CO: folds
Button: folds
SB: folds

Oh dear! Whats the play here? I actually considered check folding to any bet couldn't bring myself to do it. The board is draw heavy and I have no idea where I stand. In the same situation again I think i'd just fold my pair here. Is that really weak?

Anyway, I bet the max to see what was going on. Only one caller which isn't a totally bad result I guess but I still don't know where I am. He's probably raising vunerable hands such as 1/2 pair and I think probably a set as well. I was leaning towards some sort of draw at this point.

What sort of thing would you need to consider before making your play (I know there is a lot of infomation missing from my post)?

----- TURN ----- [7c 9s Ac][Ah]
Hero: bets US$10
UTG: calls US$10

I don't see him with any sort of 'made' hand here so I reckon he is probably still on a draw. If he had an ace or made a set on the flop I can't see him not raising either the flop or the turn. Any other thoughts on this? How often would you play a flopped set this way? How often do you continue to draw on a paired board? My 2/3rds pot bet was fairly typical.

----- RIVER ----- [7c 9s Ac Ah][3c]
Hero: checks
UTG: bets US$24
Hero: calls US$24

Given what I said on the turn. Should this have been a check fold? He is easily aggressive enough to bluff the river given my showing of weakness. Maybe a block bet and fold to a raise? I actually thought he might bet more on a bluff but he does mix his bets fairly well.

To be honest I'm not sure about any of the hand (apart from how rubbish it is to play OOP and ditto for AJ). Any help? Sometimes I struggle in reviewing hands when I know the outcome. As his play starts to make more sense, mine often starts to make less sense!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Help with a hand I was totally lost all the way through

i'd bet around 1/2 the pot on the river. If he raises i'd consider folding.