Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: just a matter of preference

[ QUOTE ]
so by playing a limped pot i can make it so there is less incentive to bluff/people play more honestly...

[/ QUOTE ]
You also give people less of a chance to put in a lot of money with a worse hand is the downside to this thinking.
[ QUOTE ]
and if i limp r/r i can make the pot big and have more definition to their hands by how much they raise preflop from where and if they call my limp r/r...

[/ QUOTE ]
Or you can clearly define your hand moreso than raising UTG while making the pot harder to release and at the same time allowing your opponents to play perfectly with position and deepstacks.
Honestly, I think deep-stacked is the WORST time to limp r/r with AA-do you think you're going to stack 99-JJ on a board of unders after the limp reraise?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:18 PM

yeah, that's probably true, good points. though it's quite possible that people still won't give me credit and if i can inflate the pot enough preflop i dont necessarily have to worry about being outflopped... but i think this applies more to 150BBs so in this case you might be right.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:23 AM

push and let him impale himself with his underset
Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Push and fast - MP has a big hand, probably a smaller set, and I don't think he's folding here while the turn can kill your action.

Kirk
Old 10-14-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I really can't see any good reason to limp AA in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you NEVER limp UTG with AA then? Surely, even if you don't like it, you have to do it sometimes, just to mix it up. If you NEVER limp UTG with AA or KK that gives your opponents a great read. (I think Brunson gives an example of this in Super System, doesn't he?) Isn't that at least ONE good reason for the limp El Diablo?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you NEVER limp UTG with AA then? Surely, even if you don't like it, you have to do it sometimes, just to mix it up. If you NEVER limp UTG with AA or KK that gives your opponents a great read. (I think Brunson gives an example of this in Super System, doesn't he?) Isn't that at least ONE good reason for the limp El Diablo?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so you are saying I am giving something up if when I limp UTG, my opponents can put me on a range of hands that includes every possible poker hand except for two?

I have limped AA UTG in certain situations for very specific reasons, however, I really don't think I would be giving anything up if I NEVER EVER limped AA UTG EVER.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Really, how often do you see someone re-raise the flop puting 1/3 of their stack in, and then fold?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:11 PM

In straddled pots I limp AA from a lot of positions.

It's worked out pretty well.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In straddled pots I limp AA from a lot of positions.

It's worked out pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Straddled pots and other "special situations" are different. With the right super-aggros in the blinds, for example, I also limp AA a ton. But that's not what I'm talking about in my responses to this thread.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Diablo,

In the games you play in, how many pots are not raised preflop?

I think everyone agrees that you do not want to give away information about your hand when you're out of position with deep stacks. Some feel that you should just raise a lot (all?) hands you play, others feel you should limp with all of them from EP. How much of this is just a reflection of the game each player typically plays in? If the pot is nearly certain to be raised behind you, then open-limping doesn't make much sense. But if many pots go unraised, then there are many more hands you might want to see a cheap flop with. So, it seems that to a certain extent, the proper play is influenced by how the rest of the table is playing. But I might be way off-base on this, since my personal experiences are still somewhat limited.