Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Flop a set. Line check. Party $22.

[ QUOTE ]

A fair point. I guess a weakish K (KT), or some kind of J might check behind on the turn. If not this, then he is probalby on a draw, but I still didn't see that as strong possibilty when I was playing the hand. Probably a lapse in thinking there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking behind the turn and raising the river in position is one of the strongest lines you can take in NL holdem. The times he has a busted draw or other garbage he's not calling your river push anyway. I doubt he has a medium strength showdown hand like AK or KQ because he would've bet the turn.

Note: you still call the river raise, you just puke while doing it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then why isn't he betting the turn when checked to?

If you really don't think he's on a draw you can raise the river of course.

Edit: no you can't, he has a slowplayed bigger set a lot too.

[/ QUOTE ]

The draw is the worry, of course. With the Party blinds structure, I don't think there is EVER a need to worry about a slowplayed bigger set. If it happens, well, move on to the next game. Draws I'll worry about, someone having set over set on me is like getting struck by lightning. Can't worry about it.

BTW, I really hate checking the turn. What's the point? Villain has shown no strength this hand. I'm betting that turn 100% of the time.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:06 AM

A C/R on the turn gives him the possibility of getting away from his hand. Just keep betting it OOP and hope he pushes.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:17 AM

Well, you're either 1) against Q10 (my best guess in this situation is Q10s) 2) something like K9 3) 99 4) a bluff. Against a typical (read: bad) $22 player, you should just call his raise. Chances are he has hand 1,2 or 3. If the player is really an aggro muffin, you might (MIGHT) be able to raise all in with a platinum read. Me, I'd err on the side of caution and just call regardless. Please note, if you are against a tight player that goes too far with hands and rarely bluffs, you can probably get away with this hand, but that situation is very, very rare in my experience.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Raiser, why did you check the turn? What reason did you have to believe that the villain would bet after you checked? So far, he's only called the entire hand.

I really, really hate checking that turn. Way too fancy IMO.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the time, I felt that this meant he really liked his hand, so I was trying for a turn C/R here hoping he has AK, KQ, or KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're getting a little too fancy. you're going to stack any of those hands regardless of whether you check the turn or bet it (there's some chance he'll check behind KQ and then just call the river, but unlikely).

the real reason to bet the flop and check the turn is to get one more bet out of a hand like 99 or QJ that would fold the turn but would call a bet on the end.

generally my cowardice wins out over my greed and i bet again on the turn. i'd bet 300 and hope that QJ / K9 / TT / etc come along. another risk of checking the turn is that you leave money on the table against a loose player with one of those hands who would've gone to the felt if you bet it all the way.

river: i've become very leery of the min-raise on the river. i think it's pretty unlikely he was slow-playing a hand you beat like KJ. i think either he has J9/K9 or he has QT, and there's some chance he has garbage, in which case it doesn't matter if you raise of call. but i smell QT - i just call. if you do lose the hand, you'll have enough to be in a 3-way dogfight for 3rd.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Bet more on the flop. I make it 225 or more. He's not folding a K or AJ here. Keep betting on the turn, even if it's only 1/3-1/2 the pot. Your best way to extract here and still protect your hand is to make a good 1/2 bet on the turn, and bet the river again.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raiser, why did you check the turn? What reason did you have to believe that the villain would bet after you checked? So far, he's only called the entire hand.

I really, really hate checking that turn. Way too fancy IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably was too fancy.

I thought that checking the turn might represent something like 77 or AQ that missed the flop and had a failed continuation bet. At this point in the hand I really felt he had a decent K or a J and that he would bet if I showed weakness here.

Those were my thoughts that the time. Bad?