Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Hand from live tournament -how do I get rid of this guy???

This hand came up in a tournament last week. I don't have all the details but it has been bugging me so if you can help, please do.
$30 freeze out tournament with 140 players, 1500 in chips to start. I didn't know the other player & had just been moved to his table.
3rd level, blinds 50/100, I was UTG with 2200 and UTG+1 had 2400.
With J's, I raised to $300. UTG+1 called. All folded.
Flop QJ3 with 2 diamonds.
I bet 500. He called.
I don't remember turn card but it was a small non-diamond.
I went all in. He called.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Hand from live tournament -how do I get rid of this guy???

you dont want to get rid of him... you have a great hand... if he catches his diamond or has a straight, that sucks but you move on to the next one.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you dont want to get rid of him... you have a great hand... if he catches his diamond or has a straight, that sucks but you move on to the next one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-15-2005, 03:44 AM

Usually I'm glad to see guys like this at my table. He had 2 unimpressive diamonds and caught another on the river. And I was out of the tournament. Could I have bet this differently?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:46 AM

Nope, it's just part of the game. Just take it for what it is and don't let it affect your decisions in future situations that are similar.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:00 AM

well you dont want to get rid of him with a dd on the turn. If he calls your considerable allin bet which he is not getting odds to call then you profit. NOt quite sure why you want him to fold b/c he misplayed not you. However you can check/raise flop all in or if he checks behind make a huge bet on turn that he's not comitted to call or check/riase all in on turn
Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Making correct decisions is my prime concern so I just laughed when this happened. I was pretty sure the guy played it badly. Just wasn't sure about my play.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However you can check/raise flop all in or if he checks behind make a huge bet on turn that he's not comitted to call or check/riase all in on turn

[/ QUOTE ] New to the table without any reads or prior experience with opponent this would be the worst possible approach.

You would effectively be giving him a free chance to draw out on you. CR only when you're absolutely sure the opponent will bet for you.

BTW (1), even when he makes his flush on the turn you still have 10 outs on the river.

BTW (2), reconsider how "badly" your opponent played.

If he feels confident he'll get the rest of your chips even if a diamond falls on the turn he's effectively getting implied odds of 5.3:1 (the t750 in the pot from before the flop plus the remaining t1,900 of your stack). Plenty to call.

Labeling other's play "bad" sometimes removed the focus from your own actions. If you always are willing to commit your stack with a set when a scare card turns, you're giving others substantial implied odds to draw.

Moving in on the turn is a -EV move. You'll mostly get called when you're behind, and opponent will mostly fold when you're ahead.

Instead of moving in on the (scary) turn you could check/call - and thereby give opponent a chance to bluff.

Downside here is you are giving him a free chance to hit a diamond on the river this way ... the problem is really that your flop bet is a wee bit on the high side in relation to your stack.

With reference to the ongoing discussion about continuation bets I believe a half pot bet (say t400) on the flop would leave you with enough wiggle room to fire a probe bet of t500 on a scare turn and folding to an all-in raise ... though it's a close call, and you'd have to be very sure you're beat. I'd probably check/call or reconsider on the river if my opponent checked as well.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM

I appreciate your comments. The goal of my post was to get comments on my play, not to criticize my opponent.
I don't quite understand your comments. A scare card did not come on the turn. It was only because a club fell that I felt comfortable going all in. And regarding my flop bet, it was 3 times the big blind. Is that not good?