Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:22 AM

Default I put myself in a difficult situation

Party 6-max 50 NL.

Didn't have many hands on villain but he seemed rather loose-aggro.

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP. No limpers to me and i raise to $2. SB folds and BB (villain) reraises to $6. I just call his raise.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot: $12.25)

Villain bets $10 into me. I'm a little puzzled here and decides to just call and see what he does on the turn.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot: $32.25)

Villain pushes for his remaining $30. I have him covered. What do I do? Should I have pushed, or maybe folded, the flop instead?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Re: I put myself in a difficult situation

reraise preflop sounds good to me

on the flop, you have to figure out whether you want your whole stack committed on this hand. At this point, depending on your answer, you push or fold.

As played, I fold, you're only really ahead of KK.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 AM

Without any good reads here I would favor folding. There are a lot of hands here that the lag BB would reraise preflop that you are behind, and what reasonable ones would he do this with that you beat? AQ, KK? Versus 10s, Js, Qs, A10, Ax diamond, 10 J.

Bear in mind that im inexperienced so dont take this as real advice, just how I see this hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise preflop sounds good to me

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to give my hand away since villain seemed aggressive and would probably try to push me off my hand on the flop regardless if he hit or not.

[ QUOTE ]

on the flop, you have to figure out whether you want your whole stack committed on this hand. At this point, depending on your answer, you push or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I probably should have taken a real decision here instead of waiting for the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

As played, I fold, you're only really ahead of KK.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he's a LAG as I think he is, I see myself ahead of AQ, KQ and possibly AJ as well. Maybe even Ax with the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 AM

I think thats the problem with not reraising preflop. As you say, he's LAG, which means his reraise hasn't defined his hand range, making it very hard for you to continue
Old 12-06-2005, 08:37 AM

you definitely have a point there
Old 12-06-2005, 08:49 AM

You're right I'm behind most reasonable hands, with reasonable being the keyword. The thing is I think he might have interpreted me as weak from the way I played the hand.

If he saw my preflop raise as a steal attempt, he could have reraised me with a broad range of hands. When I just called his reraise (after some thought) he might have taken that as weakness as well.

He thinks I'm weak and bets out big on the flop. I just call again. If he had decided I was on a steal to begin with he probably thought I wasn't very strong here.

When the turn card brings the flush, he probably believes this is another scare card to me, which it is of course. So his last all-in bet can be a last attempt to take down the pot.

I get 2:1 odds on a call. Will I be ahead to KK/AQ/AJ/KQ, a random bluff, or a semibluff with the ace of diamonds? That was what I was considering when making my decision. A very tough decision I think...
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 AM

I think its important to ask yourself if you've seen him reraise preflop before...and what did he have at that time?
Old 12-06-2005, 08:54 AM

He didn't have position in this hand. And no, I had no accurate reads on his game, except for the the LAG label I had on him.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:57 AM

then..in the interest of saving myself money, I usually assume that a reraise, OOP (i edited my last post, sorry), usually means a PP or AK.

Going by that guideline, you're dominated...and I usually use that guideline until villain shows me otherwise.