Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Default 5/10 Stud Hi - I reraised 3rd with AK6......

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

The game was soft. I felt my hand was too good to fold on 3rd, and not good enough to call, so I reraised; but I don't know whether it was a good play or a spew.

READS: Seat 4 is an idiot. His call on 4th could easily be something as bad as a gutshot draw or a 3-flush, or he could have a legit hand. No read on seat 7.

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___raises
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.3 SB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___double bets
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (5.65 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (7.65BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.65 BB)

Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___(I'm folding to a raise here, of course)
Old 12-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: 5/10 Stud Hi - I reraised 3rd with AK6......

Old 12-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Calling on third would have been reasonable. Sub-optimal, but reasonable. Raising with a very weak drawing hand when there are that many players in is just nuts. You're drawing to a pair, and you're hoping that that pair will stand up against a slew of opponents. That's a lot to ask for. I am frankly surprised that you got out as mnay players as you did.

Beyond that, the blind aggression was OK, but I think that by sixth the other guy has demonstrated pretty convincingly that he's not going anywhere. I would lean towards checking sixth and hoping I bought some help. On the other hand, betting sixth does make your river bluff more believable.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:41 PM

Raising wouldn't be horrible if you think the oppostition is capable of folding when you pair your door, or if they'll pay you off when you catch an A or K, but it doesn't look like thats gonna happen here.

Since your in I think you have to slow down on 6th and hope you make some kind of hand.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:53 PM

I'm seeing this in a lot more of my stud games last couple of months, a lot of Hold'em players learning to play stud severely overplaying their A-K-x. It's just not that strong a hand.

- Mac
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 PM

wow. I can see calling perhaps to try to catch an A or K on 4th since they are overcards to the raiser, but you have to fold 4th if you miss. I dont really know what you are doing raising 3rd though. This is not hold em. AK6 rainbow does not appear anywhere on any list of starting hands in stud. Maybe if your ace was showing you can reraise to represent aces for a bluff but you are still probably spewing regardless.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:05 PM

My thinking behind the raise was, I'm better than 4-1 to catch an A,K, or 6 on 4th; and if I raise, I'm likely to cut the field down to 1,2,or 3 opponents, at which point my hand is likely to be best (and live) if I catch an A or K, and I should have a good chance to buy the pot if I catch a 6. That's why I figured raising is better than calling here. (Since if I call, I'm putting in $5 less, but now I'm stuck in a bloated, 6-way pot, and even if I catch on 4th, I'm much less likely to win.) Folding may be much better though.

Basically, if I raise and only the J calls, I'd be getting 3-1 on my money and I'd be about a 2-1 dog if he indeed has split J's (plus I can easily fold if his board improves, and I have great fold equity if mine improves). And if 1 or 2 additional people call, it probably doesn't affect my EV too much (improves my price but hurts my winning chances).

I'm not saying my play was right, I'm just explaining why I thought it might be. Also, I might get action later if I end up showing the hand down and if anyone is paying attention; I'll have QQ, KK, or AA in the hole nearly 100% of the time when I raise in a spot like this.

The only reason I bet 6th was because I figured I'd bet 7th UI, in case he was drawing and missed but had a pair. But this guy was bad enough that a river bluff might not even work, so I probably should've just checked 6th, as was suggested.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:20 PM

I think your analysis of the situation is very good.Raising is better than calling,imo, but folding is best.Like Mac said,AKx is a pretty weak hand in stud.I can easily understand you making this play.I might possibly have done the same thing myself if I were in the mood.But it's still a spew,imo.With that said,it's probably not a giant negative EV in a metagame sense.After he stays with you on 5th,I think you have to check/fold 6th or check/call 6th & check/fold the river if you don't improve. You don't want to invest a fortune when you make a loose speculative move like this. Good luck. Ben