Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: AKs cripples me

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In case I had made my CB ~600 and the player behind moved all-in, I would have to pay 1550 more to win 4000. That is less than 3:1 pot odds and I would have a much more difficult call of his raise. Right or wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats right. You say it like it is a bad thing though, it's not. You are giving yourself a chance to get away from the hand if you feel you are behind. You can still make the call if you think he is full of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I think it will also be very difficult to know if he is full of it, and that will also make my play much harder since I'm not getting very good odds. Also, if the player behind be would have mucked, the BB would probably have called. I'm not saying I did the right thing, just explaining my way of thinking at the time I made the play.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the plan is to pick up a flushdraw on the turn, why not change the plan to turning an ace or a king instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Checking and folding to a large bet or calling a small one hoping to hit one of 15 cards (club, A, or K) on the turn wouldn't be bad either.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2005, 09:57 AM

you have to be able to get away from hands when you miss the flop. going broke with AK as another poster suggested is okay preflop, but it would take some awfully good reads if you miss the flop completely.

nothing wrong with CB of about 1/2 the pot. easy to get away from your hand then and it allows for a possible bluff/steal on turn or river.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Well, the idea would be to pick up a flush draw on the turn and then semi-bluff all in (check-raising all-in would be ideal, but it doesn't seem like stacks are deep enough for that).

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Especially his stack is no way near deep enough to plan for a semi-bluff on the turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to be able to get away from hands when you miss the flop. going broke with AK as another poster suggested is okay preflop, but it would take some awfully good reads if you miss the flop completely.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree.

[ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with CB of about 1/2 the pot. easy to get away from your hand then and it allows for a possible bluff/steal on turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case I think 1/2 pot sized CB would have been wrong, with an exceptionally great chance of being called or raised. I think any CB, regardless size, was wrong. I should have just checked, hoping for a free (or very cheap) turn card.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 AM

can definitely see an argument for checking, I think CB of 1/2 is still the right play. it's not always about the hand your in, but sets up for future hands as well that you actually hit. Say you lay this one down to a reraise or the others even fold. Next time on a made hand other players see 1/2 pot sized bet and think you are CBing again and you now have established a trap type play. It is not always ONLY about the current hand you are in.

As i said, i can still see an argument for checking. So much of these cases are read dependent and texture of the flop dependent.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 AM

Checking is definitely an option here but if you put in a 1/2 pot CB bet I think you take it down enough to make it +EV. A small stack isn't going to lay down mid pairs here, but the size of the CB doesn't make a difference. Also this sets up your big hands later on.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:40 PM

i would have bet more like 850 on the flop and wind up calling the shorty's push anyway.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Your mistake is the flop 1000 bet. You're not usually going to force a PP > 66 to fold. And you're not going to force a 6 to fold. There's no straight or flush draws, so there is no need to take the pot down now.

In this situation, I bet small, maybe 400/500. This bet get everyone that has nothing out, and maybe even keep AQ calling down (which is good for you). A pocket pair higher than 66 will likely raise to try to take the pot down and you can safely fold without damaging your chip stack.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:47 PM

Betting 500 is only good if you sometimes do the same with AA-QQ there.

Also, you aren't 'crippled' when you have 20 BB.