Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Are atheists better poker players than theists?

[ QUOTE ]
There is little desire to impose religious customs on others (in contrast to large parts of the general population), but there is a willingness to accomodate needs for religious exemptions and to be respectful towards the religious beliefs of others (be they theistic or atheistic or indifferent).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you strengthened DS's claim and I'll use this quote as an example. One of DS's conditions has been theists who believe the specific trivia of their sect is True and it is Logically so. The people you describe in that section obviously don't fit the suit.

Your post contains versions of this - [ QUOTE ]
There is no such equivalent way to assess the truth value of many religious propositions.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if it's those theists who claim there is a logical way to establish the truth value of their pet beliefs that are the ones DS is making his claims about, then the people you're referring to don't match up. They have either no theistic beliefs or just some version of the vague warm-fuzzies. no prob.

You need to come with " I know 100 top theoretical physicists and 80 of them believe they're drinking the actual blood of jesus and that they have logical proof they are"... then I'd be mightily impressed and it would relate to DS's major claim.

[ QUOTE ]
But that is a very far cry from saying that someone who does accept at least one such statement is not capable of logically analyzing statements that are falsifiable.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, it's not a matter of them accepting a unfalsifiable claim ( although that does matter to some degree), it is them claiming there are logical reasons to do so. That's not what you are claiming they do, so you have not presented any counter evidence. There may be some out there, but this wasn't it.

luckyme