Old 12-08-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Hand 4 (200 PLO8b)

Seat 3: ( $150.15)
Hero: ( $200)
Villain: ( $270.96)
Seat 4 posts small blind (1)
Seat 5 posts big blind (2)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Seat 6 folds.
Hero calls (2)
Villain raises (9) to 9
4 folds.
Seat 3 calls (9)
2 folds.
Hero calls (7)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
Hero checks.
Villain bets (28.50)
Seat 3 folds.
Hero raises (114) to 114
Villain raises (233.46) to 261.96
Villain is all-In.
Hero calls (77)
Hero is all-In.

My opponent in this hand was extraordinarily loose and aggressive. I had decided before this hand that I was going to check-raise his ass soon. Did I pick a good spot or should I have waited for a better one?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Hand 4

I would lead this flop rather than check-raise. Don't really want to see a free card come off and be a T, J, or Q. Since you know reliably that he will bet, I'll admit laying in the weeds is a decent play, but ideally you want to catch a low on the turn and then push him off a likely better high, like an overpair. I'd probably check-call if I were taking that line rather than chk-raise, because there are many hands here that have you in real bad shape; making the low or catching trips/2nd pair would before getting more active would be a safer play.

In general I think your play on these 4 hands is very good. PLO8 rewards aggression like you are showing; I'm sure you've already noticed that you get paid off by some pretty ridiculous hands after displaying a willingness to let chips fly on these hands.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lead this flop rather than check-raise. Don't really want to see a free card come off and be a T, J, or Q. Since you know reliably that he will bet, I'll admit laying in the weeds is a decent play, but ideally you want to catch a low on the turn and then push him off a likely better high, like an overpair. I'd probably check-call if I were taking that line rather than chk-raise, because there are many hands here that have you in real bad shape; making the low or catching trips/2nd pair would before getting more active would be a safer play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with everything that you say. But I had been waiting to check-raise this guy for a long time. This looked like a good opportunity to do it.
[ QUOTE ]
In general I think your play on these 4 hands is very good. PLO8 rewards aggression like you are showing; I'm sure you've already noticed that you get paid off by some pretty ridiculous hands after displaying a willingness to let chips fly on these hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, my opponent's hands have been pretty ridiculous in the hands that I posted.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I had been waiting to check-raise this guy for a long time. This looked like a good opportunity to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Looking to chk-raise a player like this is fine, but it makes more sense to wait until the turn to do it; at that point, he'll be committed & you'll have a much more decisive advantage. Though I'll admit there is some urgency involved in taking chips from a complete donk before someone else stacks him.