Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 05:18 PM

Default A6s with pair & flush draw on flop

I was railbirding a $4/$8 game at the Wynn while waiting for a seat to open up, and saw the following hand come up. Hero is someone I know who just recently joined the table and this is his fourth hand. In the few hands I saw earlier, the table seemed pretty even keeled.

I though there were some questionable decisions on this hand, so I'd be curious to get your thoughts - I'll post this hand step-by-step so future actions do not bias your thinking.

Hero is in cutoff with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Two people limp, hero limps, button raises, blinds fold, limpers call, hero calls.

Flop (9.5 small bets):
6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It is checked to Hero.

Hero... ?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: A6s with pair & flush draw on flop

Hero bets...hoping the player behind raises.

If someone has a crap straight draw, Hero wants them out. Hero also wants AJ, AT type hands to fold. Hero is eliminating hands that potentially beat him at showdown. Though his pot equity is high, the hero's hand is no monster. He needs to create outs.

Hopefully, the preflop raiser has AK or AQ and the Hero has him in a bad way. If he has KK, QQ, JJ, or TT. The A6 is still in good shape.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM

yeah, bet for sure. you have tonz of equity blah blah blah. Nice avatar myturn! thats my favorite music video ever!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:32 PM

I don't know how the Wynn 4/8 plays, but here are a couple of scenarios:

The greater the chances are that the PFR will let the flop check-through or raise with just overcards, the more I want to bet.

If I can expect the PFR to auto-bet the flop but only raise with an overpair, then I start thinking about going for a checkraise -- especially if I'm expecting the PFR to get called by one or both of the limpers.

Generally speaking, though, I think I prefer a lead. Whiffing would suck here.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:35 PM

i like c/ring here, i dont want the button raising me and facing the field with 2 cold, unless you have a good reason to think that the button wont make a continuation bet, i check/raise
Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM

I like a cr in this situation. I think we can assume the pfr will cont bet the flop and at least one of the limpers will come along. I think your hand is good here most of the time. Without a good read on the villain I don't really like leading into him. Also, by cring you might get a free turn card if the pfr is passive enough. I would rather see money going in while were ahead than trying to drive out the field (which might not even happen).
Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like c/ring here, i dont want the button raising me and facing the field with 2 cold, unless you have a good reason to think that the button wont make a continuation bet, i check/raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE the pfr facing the field with 2 cold. Either they call, which is great for my value, or they fold. If PFR is raising AK/AQ, I have him reverse dominated and in a world of hurt. If he has a big pocket pair I am favored over him on the flop and going to the river anyway.

If the pfr won't raise the flop for you, that's ok. His call will induce other calls behind. All you need is 1 more for your bet to be a value bet.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:08 PM

Hero bets this every time at a live $4/8 game.

Can't rely on pfr to bet it for him, and people will call 2 cold on the flop without batting an eye. Plus if they both call 2 cold he can 3-bet for value.

Information gained from pfr is helpful too: If hero gets raised he is likely up against an overpair. That helps hero play the big streets OOP vs the pfr.

Folding out non-A overcards is not terrible either.

Hero has 1 pr/ 2pr equity as well as flush equity and betting the flop helps him with his pr equity at least as much as it could hurt his overlay to draw to the flush.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:11 PM

I think I'd checkraise this online but bet it live because live players can't be relied on to bet here. Online flops are rarely checked through.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM

To continue...

In the actual game, Hero checked. The button bet, and the limpers called.

Action back to Hero...??