Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 PM

Default missed overs

I suck playing missed overs. Especially multiway. What should I have done differently? Err, not exactly all overcards.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (5.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB
Old 07-21-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: missed overs

Must fold river
Old 07-21-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Must fold river

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ever, ever overcall with ace high. That covers 99% of situations.

Krishan
Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Must fold river

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG folds, is this a simple river call? Or is it read-dependant? I'm also having some trouble playing overs (who isn't?)
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Must fold river

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ever, ever overcall with ace high. That covers 99% of situations.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]
It is very rarely I do. But when the button failed to bet the turn, and the river pretty much blanked, isn't my hand good a lot of the time? Especially when UTG failed once again to bet the river? I am pretty sure both of these opponents would have bet somewhere earlier if they had something. Well at least that was my thinking.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:46 AM

it is absolutely read-dependent if UTG folds, but given that the button cold-called PF, then didn't bet the turn when hero showed weakness, and is now betting into two people, I'd fold this without hesitation.

if this were heads up from the start, then you could make more of a case for calling, but I think the type of player that would bluff the river like this usually would bet the turn when checked to...then again, you probably aren't checking the turn if it were heads up, so who knows.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Must fold river

[/ QUOTE ]

If UTG folds, is this a simple river call? Or is it read-dependant? I'm also having some trouble playing overs (who isn't?)

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few factors that you must take into consideration when deciding whether or not to call with A high heads up on the river.

1.) Size of the pot. Here you have to pay 1 bet to win 6. You have to decide if you will be good here 1 in 6 times. If not, fold.

2.) Yes, this is very read dependent. Is your opponent capable betting a hand worse than yours on the river?

3.) The action so far (hand reading.) Does your opponent have good reason to bluff based on his range of hands and what you know about him? Here he bet into 2 opponents so it makes it less likely that he's betting on a pure bluff. But the turn was also checked through so that gives him more of a reason to bluff.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:09 AM

Good post but just a quick correction. Hero needs to be good 1 in 7 times when he's getting 6:1, not 1 in 6.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post but just a quick correction. Hero needs to be good 1 in 7 times when he's getting 6:1, not 1 in 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the original post yes, hero is getting 7:1, but my post was adressing Mannika's hypothetical question about whether or not to call when UTG folds.