Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

You guys look like idiots, you're not accomplishing anything, and you're likely driving off the type of player that you want at your table.

Put yourself in the shoes of a recreational fish, who is there to gamble, socialize and have a good time. Which of the following tables are you most likely going to want to sit at:

a) a bunch of sour, silent, serious, brooding guys with baseball caps, sunglasses and headphones

or

b) a table of cheerful people who look and dress like you do?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

[ QUOTE ]
You guys look like idiots, you're not accomplishing anything, and you're likely driving off the type of player that you want at your table.

Put yourself in the shoes of a recreational fish, who is there to gamble, socialize and have a good time. Which of the following tables are you most likely going to want to sit at:

a) a bunch of sour, silent, serious, brooding guys with baseball caps, sunglasses and headphones

or

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to wear glasses, and they did accomplish something. They made the other players at the table more comfortable because they were unaware that I was constantly staring at them hand after hand. They probably just made me for some idiot who was wearing glasses (which was good for me) like you stated. It wasn't untill nearly everyone (dealers, cardroom managers, regulars, chasiers) knew me by name that I stopped wearing them.

It has been my experience that most producers don't care at all about what you're wearing or how you play. They simply don't know any better. I also found your hasty generalization of the "...silent, sour, serious..." player types to be absurd. Anyone can fit that description wether wearing glasses or not. I would be willing to say that most producers would rather sit at a table full of friendly looking and talkitive players, but just as many simply want to play and don't care with whom.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

If you wear sunglasses indoors, you are a tool. The end.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem ga

I sometimes wear shades when I've been playing a long session live and the crappy fluorescent light starts to bother my eyes. But then I often take them off when I play a hand. I also sometimes loan them to my opponents if they seem worried about me getting a good read on them. Olé.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:00 PM

Annie Duke told me that most tools aren't aware that they are tools. A tool wouldn't notice that most people don't want to play with a bunch of tools.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]
I wear sunglasses because I'm blind. Other players think of me as "unpredictable", and have a harder time grasping my betting patterns....

But, I'm always friendly....
Old 07-12-2004, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

or

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me think....I usually pick tables by play style...not fashion style...This isn't a fashion show...I realize our culture is so superficial that we are judged by our clothes cars and cell phone. I will admit that a majority of the players that wear shades do so only because
1. they saw it on Tv..and monkey see monkey do....Your idiot comment applies here

2. They are chemically inconvienenced and trying to hide the bloodshot eyes....

3. They do so to conceal eye contact with other players not letting others know wear you are looking could allow you to catch tells from others...etc...

DO you also ask what kind of car they drive before you sit at a table?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DO you also ask what kind of car they drive before you sit at a table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, you didn't understand what I was talking about.

This isn't about me; it's about the recreational player who comes to socialize and have fun (and ends up being a good contributor). Given the choice, he is more likely to sit at a table with people who look like him, as opposed to a table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:56 AM

Do you personally know a lot of winning players that dress like that? In my experience, the guys with the caps/sunglasses are the ones I want in my game.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:44 AM

You are absolutely right... I wear eyeblack instead. It keeps the glare out of my eyes, and it doesn't intimidate the fish.