Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Where to restart?

After the worst 2 days of bad beats and 2nd-best monsters in my life, my little $1k bankroll is gone and I'm trying to decide where to restart. (I'm not saying I was by far the best player or anything. But the string of beats was truly epic. I will be glad to post them if anyone doubts this.)

I have no doubt that I was playing above my head with too small a bankroll. Also instead of moving down in the levels when the ugliness started I moved up to win it all back. I KNOW this is just out and out gambling. But I had gotten lucky doing this in the past, and I do have a well paying day job to cushion the blow. IE - I'm not out on the street.

I feel like as long as I don't do anything dumb I'm a winner at the $27s, how much above the rake I don't know. I think I'm hovering around breakeven at the $60s, and in over my head a little at the $119s (I like the 6-handed turbos at Stars - like poker crack). I've tried one $215 for grins, busted out on the bubble ATdd to ATcc. Up until then I had gotten pretty lucky whenever I played over my head, which had significantly jumpstarted my bankroll.

I know that the correct thing to do is to go back to the $27s or lower, play ABC poker, and build my BR back up. But the problem is... I don't wanna. I like playing against the trickier (to me anyway) players at the $60s and up--players who are capable of coming over the top of continuation bets with air, checking the river w/a monster, folding TPTK, etc. To me I feel like I'm really learning how to play in tough games and being forced to learn to recognize and execute more sophisticated tricks. As opposed to just waiting around to bust someone calling with A7. (I'm not saying everyone at the $27s does that. But there are almost always 1 or 2 at the beginning, and that's where you make your ROI right? I just feel like mixing it up at the $60s is getting me closer to my goal of someday being a truly great player. I wonder whether learning how to crush the $27s would be as beneficial.

So anyway, sounds like I just answered my own question. Thanks for listening to me ramble. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone on this board who may have faced a similar crossroads. Thoughts, suggestions, flames, anything. Please blast away.

thx,
Matt