Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Live 5/10 - TT in MP

Actually two almost identical TT hands from Saturday night... I played them the same, but I pretty sure I didn't play the flop well.

I'll just describe one hand (as the same players are involved and the flop was effectively the same).

mostly loose passive table.

I'm in MP with TT, a limper or two, I raise, a couple callers 4-5 see the flop.

Flop is 874 rainbow. Player in the blinds bets out. He likes to take shots at the pot and will bet out with any piece of the flop, pre-flop raisers don't concern him but he will back down (even fold) if played back at. I'm not worried about him and intend to raise when the action is on me. Ok EP player raises before it gets to me. He has something legit here, but doesn't necessarily mean more than top pair.

3-betting crosses my mind but I just call.

Results of the first hand re-inforce my decision to only call, results of the second hand re-inforce my original notion that I should 3-bet. But we don't want to make decisions based on the results of the last similar hand, we want to take the correct line.

I need to 3-bet here, no?
Old 09-20-2004, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Live 5/10 - TT in MP

this is very similar to one of the overpair hands in SSH...it says that with TT you should just call the raise and wait for a good turn card before getting your raise in, this is because once a safe turn card hits your hand is a much bigger favorite because no only may you already be beat but there are a ton of overcards that can come to beat you...

This is opposed to if you have AA, in that case SSH states that 3betting is much better...
Old 09-20-2004, 01:59 AM

This hand is not similar to the overpair hand in SSH since there are still players left to act behind him that he'd like to drive out. Also by raising he confronts the original bettor with 2 more bets which he would certainly like to do especially given his read. 3 bet the flop.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I need to 3-bet here, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Sometimes he will have the straight, but why wouldn't he wait until the turn to pop everyone? Why drive out all those customers? He might have 87, but even that you can catch. I'd figure him for and 8 with some part of the straight draw. 86, some crap like that. 88,77,44, and 56 are the only really scary hands for you right now.