Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 01:59 AM

Default More money to be made in MTT than SNG\'s?

I have heard a few people say lately that there is more money making potential in MTT's than SnG's is this true? Has anyone else thought about switching to MTT's. Do you really think there is more money to be made there?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: More money to be made in MTT than SNG\'s?

i hope you like variance and post-flop poker
Old 12-30-2005, 02:03 AM

I cant imagine having a higher expectation in todays online multis. First of all they take forever, second of all the max buyins are quite small. Third you have to play on a schedule and sometimes can only get into a few at the same time.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine having a higher expectation in todays online multis. First of all they take forever, second of all the max buyins are quite small. Third you have to play on a schedule and sometimes can only get into a few at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does Tiger Woods ponder if he'd be better at stock car racing?

I can only say that I have been playing both (not enough for statistics to matter much yet), and the play at the MTTs seems way, way softer. Super-LAGs everywhere. I occasionally see a super-lag blow up at a STT, but it's just one. In MTTs, I often see a table that seems to be 80%+ superlag. When was the last time you saw a 6-way all-in in a STT? It seems the rebuy period in rebuy MTTs is the surest way to see maniacs gone wild. Is this high variance? No doubt. But it's hard to imagine it isn't more profitable than STTs. (I also think there is a wider skill set needed for MTT play, which I don't mean as offense to STT players, as I play a lot more hours of STTs than MTTs and, as I said, the MTTs I feel are softer)
Old 12-30-2005, 02:24 AM

lmao, the rebuy period of an MTT is the best time to get chips. its also probably the least crucial period of the MTT.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard a few people say lately that there is more money making potential in MTT's than SnG's is this true? Has anyone else thought about switching to MTT's. Do you really think there is more money to be made there?

[/ QUOTE ]
I play both. My rate of winning at MTT's has been pretty high over the last six months. However, it's impossible to play 8 of them at a time at a proper buy-in. It's also difficult to schedule. And the variance is huge. But, per table played, I think there is more to be made at MTT's.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 AM

It is clear that a good MTT player has a higher ROI than a good STT player. It's just that you can open up to 10 identical STT's any time of day that end in an hour, of various buyins.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I agree with the take forever statement. Yes they do take a bit of time but if I am playing 300 players then isn't it similar to playing 30 STT's ? So the time may average out.

Longer time yes but bigger payout compared to buyin ?

I wonder where the bad players go. I imagine STT cause they are in a hurry to get action, yet I would also say MTT cause they want to play a WSOP style game.

One or the other has to have more dead money. Of course the Final Table in a MTT is likely to have some real competition, whereas in a STT you do not have to worry about facing the best players, who you start with is who you end with.

--
tjh

--
tjh
Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 AM

Well.. you're not actually playing against 300 players... I would say you probably only play 4-5 tables, which sort of works out in the time it takes too (most MTTs last 4-5 hours from my own experience). But the variance in MTTs is quite higher. You have to survive quite a few showdowns to reach final table.. Not to mention post flop play.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 AM

Im fairly new to MTT's and STG's. I must say that from a POKER perspective MTT's is the way to go. I have played maybe 20-30 MTT this month have finished in the money about half the time, give or take and have had two final tables. One that I won $6/196 players and a fourth place $22/2448 players. I feel that there is definatly more money to be made, particularly compared to the buy-in in the MTT's. Just from the two im up $4k (nearly) and risked $28. For the others I finished about even. If you are willing to play the already mentioned post flop poker the players really are weak up untill the last 5% or so and at that point youve made some good money. You will definately see money less often with the MTT. For now I am just trying to stay away from the cash games and keep learning to succeed at both.