Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Belated \"hello\" and \"thank you\"

Hi everyone,

I first discovered these forums back in 2000 as I was getting serious about hold'em (as part of the "Rounders" wave of new players). Back then online poker was quite a novelty, and like most, I stuck to live games. Finding the low limit tables mind-numbing (and the characters less than savory), I starting playing 15/30 & 30/60 regularly long before I was ready. I took quite a few beatings at first, but armed with knowledge from just two books (TOP and HEFAP), I managed to eke out a modest positive win rate over the next couple of years. Along the way, I learned to fit in with the other players ("AI-YAH!" "I GOTTA POCKET DOOO!", "NAI HAN!").

Then I found other interests and stopped playing poker altogether.

When TV poker exploded onto the scene, I got back to playing on occasion. Now I play maybe once a week (still mostly live games), and will probably keep poker as a hobby for a long time to come.

Anyway I've re-discovered these forums recently, and wanted to thank all of the posters for their invaluable insights into the game. Just from carefully reading over some of the threads, I feel like I've become a better player than I ever was. (And I realize I've missed a gazillion big bets over the years.) I'm humbled both by posts in which 90% of posters are agreeing that it's not close ("duh"), and posts in which each new reply brings a new line ("oh yeah, there's *that* aspect").

I look forward to continuing my education, and to the day when I can bring new insights of my own to share.