Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-09-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Don\'t like how I played these...

Hand 1 - normally fold this from EP, but the table was very passive, lots of limpers. The raiser, in this case, is loose and tiltish, I do not respect it. My plan was to knock MP2 out w/ a turn raise, but he called. I froze on the river - expected a nine or T-8 from this bunch... Thoughts?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qs Jc (two pair, queens and nines).
MP2 has 5s As (one pair, nines).
CO has 4h 4c (two pair, nines and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.50 BB. </font>

Hand 2 - 3 bettor thinks I am stealing blinds and this will be his stand. The turn checkraise stumped me. I wasn't too concerned about the flush, but the 9 put straights on the board as well. I planned to raise the river and fold to a 3rd bet, however a 4th spade fell. Anything different?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has 9d 9h (three of a kind, nines).
Hero has Qh Qc (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 BB. </font>
Old 05-09-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Don\'t like how I played these...

Hand 1. This river isn't particuarly scary, if you thought you had the best and on the turn then bet it.

Hand 2, I hate the plan of waiting for the river to raise your set, since there are so many cards that can scare you into just flat calling, which is what happened. Get the bets in on the turn, even if he's got a straight or flush you have outs.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:34 AM

Hand 1:

A case could be made for leading the flop to get the tilting c/o to raise and face the field with 2 cold. Planning on a turn checkraise, assuming nobody folds, only puts one person to a two cold decision, and I don't think thats really what you should be going for, as weak as your hand is. On the other hand, if you were confident that you had the best on the turn, getting value is never a bad thing.

On the river if your getting checked to you are probably in front. I still wouldn't bet, however, as its unlikely that anybody with a worse hand will call. I haven't read the results yet, but my guess is MP turned a flush draw or had a better Q, and c/o probably had something like 88 or AK.

Hand 2:

Villians range of hands is so wide planning on folding this at all is just crazy. I'd 3 bet the turn and call if capped. I'm calling this even if he caps. This constant bet/fold to a raise nonsense makes aggressive players a lot of money. Save that play for when you have 2nd pair with a strong kicker, or some other mediocre value betting hand. Having a plan that involves folding top set heads up can never be good. If he turned/rivered a flush, good for him, sometimes you just gotta dig in your heals.

I'm gonna go read the results now, I'm guessing in hand 2 you probably lost to JJ with the J of spades or something like that. If you won, he probably flopped a set of Ten's.

lf
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 AM

If you checkraised the turn for value you must do the same on the river in hand one.

[ QUOTE ]
I planned to raise the river and fold to a 3rd bet

[/ QUOTE ]
i hate any line that involves you doing that in this game.

calling down is fine. if you're sure he'll do it with less than a flush a 3bet/calldown is fine too.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 AM

hand 1 you missed a value bet....

hand 2 you missed a bunch of bets. BET!!!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Hand 1 you really need to raise this flop. You don't to let a hand like K-10 hang around and catch on you.

Hand 2 you should definitly 3 bet the turn, call down if capped. If he calls the turn 3 bet, lead any non spade river.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:32 PM

1. Limp is ok, much better suited if youre looking for a big pot. You wanted to knock out MP2, but he only has you beat with KQ/QJ or a gutshot you want to knock out, everything else is an easy call/fold for him. I would think you would want to represent a 9 and eliminate the PFR if you could, or bet the flop and try to eliminate the rest of the field with a raise from the PFR. With the pot big, you want to get people out of there and I think you were lucky that both players suck...

2. If you think that was his stand, then give him all the action he can handle on the turn. So many cards kill your action on the river, that you should get your bets in while you can. FWIW, if you raise the river and fold to a 3 bet, you will be folding the best hand here, b/c he will 3 bet you with his 99 on a blank river.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks - some great advice here. Appreciate the comments. Definitely missed bets on both hands.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:31 PM

Hand 1: I still don't like limping there but I guess if it's really loose passive it's ok. I'd bet the river, easy fold if raised and you can get weaker pairs or weaker Qs to pay off.

Hand 2: You have to 3-bet this turn because he 3-bet you pre-flop, which makes KJ less likely and you can't be afraid of the flush yet. (Also, he's the aggro type that would have 3-bet pf with KJ, it's likely he'd make a move on that flop with the OESD) The river probably didn't change anything so go ahead and raise and fold to a 3-bet if you are sure he won't 3-bet you with a worse hand.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:33 PM

I really butchered 2 - not sure why I didn't raise...